Reloading 44 Russian

jethunter

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
359   0   0
Location
Central AB
I need to load up some .44 Russian for a reichsrevolver. Will .44 spl dies work or do i need to buy a dedicated .44 russian dies? There is conflicting advice out there on the net, anybody here have real experience with this? .44 spl dies are a bit easier to source than the russian variety.
 
I started out using 44spl dies
they'll do everything but crimp for you because of the shorter case.I used the crimper from my 44spl Lee Loader.
that said you can trim the bottom of the die and it will crimp too.
Would be alot cheaper than buying 44Russian dies...unless you like Lee dies...
 
Better slug the bore they were a heeled bullet originally I found bore size to be larger than the standard 44.
 
Better slug the bore they were a heeled bullet originally I found bore size to be larger than the standard 44.

I thought the .44 S&W American was originally heeled, while the .44 Russian was not. Now i have to find my lost "Cart. of the World" to check. I was going to slug the reichsrevolver anyway, thanks for the heads up.
 
I thought the .44 S&W American was originally heeled, while the .44 Russian was not. Now i have to find my lost "Cart. of the World" to check.

AFAIK, they're the same, except for the length... I have a S&W 1st model DA that fires both, plus according to the (latest) Lyman Pistol Reloading manual, they're identical except for case length.

Anyway... check and see if your M79 can also chamber 44 spl... because it is also a strong possibility. A lot of guns of that period were either made or later converted to accept both cartridges. Kind of like a 38 spl/357 mag thing. ;)
 
I thought the .44 S&W American was originally heeled, while the .44 Russian was not. Now i have to find my lost "Cart. of the World" to check. I was going to slug the reichsrevolver anyway, thanks for the heads up.

The Reich revolver takes 44 Russian that is to say it fits the chamber but its real cal. is 10.5mm
 
AFAIK, they're the same, except for the length... I have a S&W 1st model DA that fires both, plus according to the (latest) Lyman Pistol Reloading manual, they're identical except for case length.

Anyway... check and see if your M79 can also chamber 44 spl... because it is also a strong possibility. A lot of guns of that period were either made or later converted to accept both cartridges. Kind of like a 38 spl/357 mag thing. ;)

762, i will check the chamber dimensions thanks. :)

Found my copy of Cartridges of the World and looked up the .44 Russian and American cartridge dimensions:

S&W American used a heeled .434" bullet,.440" diameter case, .91" long
S&W Russian used a straight .429 bullet, .457" diameter case, .96" long

The .44 Special and .44 magnum are the same dimensions as the .44 Russian, except they have longer cases.
 
The Reich revolver takes 44 Russian that is to say it fits the chamber but its real cal. is 10.5mm

It makes some sense that the original 10.55 cartridge would use a heeled bullet. COTW says the German Service Revolver used a .426" bullet, maybe this refers to the heeled portion?
 
My 1879 SA Reichs revolvers chamber throats are just over .430 so perfect for .430 dia 44 caliber bullets.
bore Dia is just over .430 to and my bore is like new.

I agree with Doyle this gun loves 44 Sp and i shoot the winchester cowboy ammo outa mine with no ill effects as its loaded like 44 Russian anyway.
 
My 1879 SA Reichs revolvers chamber throats are just over .430 so perfect for .430 dia 44 caliber bullets.
bore Dia is just over .430 to and my bore is like new.

I agree with Doyle this gun loves 44 Sp and i shoot the winchester cowboy ammo outa mine with no ill effects as its loaded like 44 Russian anyway.

P&D in Edmonto has a good selection of .430 cast bullets in stock. I'm hoping they'll be suitable for my reichsrevolver.
 
Back
Top Bottom