reloading dutch east indies pistol

travisanderson

New member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone have any success stories reloading for 9.4 Dutch east indies revolver? I need some suggestions. I've googled some things and have came up with 41 mag cases cut down and either sizing 41 bullets down to. 380 or buying a mould and casting my own. Anyone?
 
I have owned and shot 2 9.4 Dutch E I revolvers. I used shortened 41 magnum pistol shells and have a .385 mold that was probably made for a rook rifle. I loaded with black powder only when I shot the gun. You might want to slug your barrel because I think there is some variation in groove diameter. I think I sized my slugs to .381 (it has been a while since I shot the gun).

cheers mooncoon
 
I recall someone posting about trimming 30-30 cases down and using them. Which is do-able, even if the brass is too thick at the case mouth after the trim.
I've done the same thing getting a 445 Webley going; different cases of course.
But newly manufactured cases would impart some addition strength too.
 
I have 2 Knil 91 revolvers and I reload for them.

I use shortened 41 Magnum pistol brass and form them in CH4D 9.4 Dutch East Indies dies. The Dutch East Indies version used the largest brass case possible to maximize the powder load as the powder in that country was apparently less powerful then they were used to back home.

I use 4grn of Trail Boss or I use a slightly compressed Black Powder charge (no air gap). I really enjoy shooting BP with these. As always you should work up your own load as your case length / bullet / etc. will be different. As Mooncoon mentioned, you should slug your barrel of course.

For lead I ordered a custom mold from AccurateMolds.com. #38-150D is the catalog # of the one I use.

For crimping I use a 38-55 Lee factory crimp die with a modified (length) 357 Magnum brass as a spacer. It does an excellent job.
 
The .41 colt hollow base bullets are .386" diameter. You could size them down. Or you can get a custom mold built for about $100-$150.
 
Back
Top Bottom