Rem Rollingblock ID help

senior

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Need help I.D,ing this Rollingblock I came across.
In Flaydermans it very nearly fits the ID for a US Navy Carbine on pg 155. or the Carbine version of a basic Military rifle pg 156.
Tang markings match US Navy markings.
It has the correct little barrel ladder site of the Carbines.
It has a chromed block & hammer if added it was a very long time ago.
It's got very strong, sharp rifling with a bore of .50 cal.
The chamber matchs precisely to a few 50-70gvt cartridges I have.
Now the sticker......
It's a Rimfire....WTF???
Being a rimfire what would be a realistic value for such a thing?
Personally if it were mine I'd consider converting to a centrefire.



Remington_rolling_block_004.jpg


Remington_rolling_block_003.jpg
 
Check the receiver for stamps, on the side. An H would indicate Husqvarna. I think it was Norway used a 50 cal rimfire naval carbine. I think the shells were a trifle shorter than 50-70 but the guns can be modified to centerfire 50-70

cheers mooncoon
 
I believe the 12.7 x 44R is a centrefire cartridge, not a Rimfire .

There are both rimfire and centerfire versions of that cartridge.

That particular rolling block is not one of the Swedish
carbines, however. The Swedish carbines, both Artillery and Engineers versions, look quite different from that particular one.
 
Yes I believe they called the rimfire version a 12.7x42R.
It doesn't have any of the proper stampings to be Swedish or Danish & the saddle ring/sling is wrong. I did however read the 1st 5,000 or so were made in NA then sent over where the Sw/Dans set up their own factorys making them under contract. Is it possible to be one of them?
How much trouble to convert it to centerfire?
 
Is it possible to be one of them?
How much trouble to convert it to centerfire?

I think any good gunsmith should be able to do so. One solution is to drill out the firing pin hole and thread it then plug it with a screw. Follow that by redrilling the pin as a centerfire. The screw which retains the pin can still be used to retain the centerfire pin. Remember the plug screw is centered on the rim not the center of the cartridge and does not take a lot of thrust

cheers mooncoon
 
Quickest and easiest way to convert to centrefire is simply to install a centrefire breechblock, load up some ammo and head for the range. Dixie had a bunch of these some years ago, quite cheaply. If you have access to a mill, they are not all that hard to make.

Converting .348 Winchester brass for the Norwegian rifles is quite simple: just anneal the mouths, open them up and blow the taper out. You can use .50-70 dies for most rifles; they are a LOT cheaper than the "right" ones. If you can get the things, 32-bore shotgun brass also works well in these as well as in the US rifles. Fiocchi makes 32-bore in plastic cases; they are available, primed, for about $30 a hundred from the fellow up by Edmonchuk who sells those pretty Yildiz shotguns. In Brazil, Magtech makes 32-bore brass, but it seems awfully hard to get here, although Cabela's are the importers for the USA.

Good luck.
 
Since I already shoot a U.S. Springfield in 50-70 loading is no problem & I don't even have dies:) I use 348 brass which is a bit of a hit & miss since rim is almost to narrow for the extractor to predicably catch. I have mold for muzzel loader bullets which shoot very well :)
Replacement Breach block is the answer, but there not real common & a bit $$y.
 
Back
Top Bottom