Remington 18** double barrel shotgun - stock help

Grouse Man

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Location
Winnipeg
This is a Remington sidelock hammer shotgun, around 1880 or so, I don't know the exact year but you lift the action release rather than move it to the side. The head of the stock is essentially Swiss cheese with pieces missing, cracked, etc. Not useable. However the rest of the gun seems to be fairly solid, the locks look to be in good working condition. One hammer is not original.

Anyway, is it possible to get a replacement stock, or is this now a parts gun?

IMG_5870_zpsfc72e520.jpg


IMG_5871_zpsf5f793a5.jpg
 
Last edited:
Looks repairable enough to me, anyway.

Try gluing first, then building up with Acra-Glas Gel. You will need a couple of wood clamps to hold things while the AG is setting up.

Slow and careful; take 3 or 4 days and do it right, in stages.

When it is solid again, get some RLO into it, all it will take, then finish with BLO.

Tinman204 works in Winterpeg every day. Contact him for pointers; he does excellent restorations on wrecked wood, but don't tell him I said that!.
 
There are chunks missing, cracks EVERYWHERE inside the head, and that big horizontal split was misaligned when glued.

Unless that glued portion can be undone, but even then I think there's too much damage where everything mounts.
 
"...possible to get a replacement stock..." Anything is possible with enough time and money. You won't likely find an original stock, but any custom stock maker can do it. Hasn't got any collector value as it is, so you might as well do it.
 
The gun has no sentimental value to me, and I don't think it's valuable enough to warrant the expense of making a stock. I don't even know if it is shootable. It appears solid, but I don't even know the model or age of the gun, or whether it is black powder only, etc.
 
The gun has no sentimental value to me, and I don't think it's valuable enough to warrant the expense of making a stock. I don't even know if it is shootable. It appears solid, but I don't even know the model or age of the gun, or whether it is black powder only, etc.

a good look down the barrels(pitting) and seeing what material(Damascus or just plain steel/iron) they are made of is a good start to seeing if its shootable also see if its off face
 
If the barrels are serviceable, why not buy a piece of 2" walnut and make your own stock? Inlet the tang before you cut the rest of the butt to make sure that you get the drop correct. It is unlikely that you will find a replacement stock and extremely unlikely that the gun warrants having a stock made by someone else. You are probably looking at $5-600 to have one made. Final option is to glue all the pieces back together and make sure they are a reasonable fit on the gun then have a pantographic copy made assuming you can find someone with a stock duplicator

cheers mooncoon
 
Who would make a stock for a sidelock for $500.00-$600.00? Not being sarcastic cause I would really like to know. Usually it is anywhere from $2000.00 to $4500.00 depending on the blank from a reputable stock maker.

Not 100% sure but looks like a model 1873.
 
Last edited:
Have you talked to Cornelius Ens at Manitou Gun Works?

Cornie makes beautiful stocks.

He is in (get ready for it!!!)........ Manitou.

About 10 miles from Morden. Right in your back yard, almost.
 
Back
Top Bottom