Remington .44 cf

oldiron

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Location
central Alberta
I am waiting the arrival of a Remington 1875 Army SA revolver, chambered for Rem. 44. I haven't found much info on making up loads tho. Sounds like some guns will take .44 Colt, but the dia. of the Colt is a bit big. The thing takes a heeled bullet, in .447 . Case is straight .447, just over an inch long.
Any ideas as to what to use, or a case close to .447? When the thing shows up, I'll slug the barrel, and measure the cyl. to get a better idea. (and take a pic.)
Thanks, Bill..
 
make sure its not a 44 40 my expericene is 99.9 % of 1875 remys are 44 40.
yes they will tell you there 44 remington but if the chambers are dirty a 44 40 wont chamber all the way makeing the sellers think they have a 44 remington.
the chambers of and 44 remington are smaller in dia than a 44 40 at the back but have no chamber throat at the front.
the bores in a 44 remington chambered guns barrels are alot bigger in dia than a 44 40 bore to as the 44 remy is a heeled bullet.
the bore of the 44 40 guns are tight at about .427 but work very well for 44 sp.

I have not found anything to make up the same cartridge as the 44 remington that would work in that big bore, i have been told a 44 colt is right but to get any decent accuracy outa one you will need custom heeled bullets.
 
Handloader Magazine for February 2012 had an article on .44 cartridges and it mentions the .44 Remington as similar, but not the same as the .44 Colt.
 
oldiron - glad it shoots good. Sorry it's not what you had hoped for.
make sure its not a 44 40 my expericene is 99.9 % of 1875 remys are 44 40
Near as I can tell (?) I have an original Egyptian contract in 44Rem with a four digit serial number under the grip - a rare one then - missing lanyard ring though. There is no calibre designation anywhere as expected on this early batch of M1875s.

For those who like pics - here's how far in a virgin 44-40 case gets in my M1875 with clean chambers. Sorry bout the crappy camera colour balance.

IMG_0082.jpg


IMG_0083.jpg


IMG_0086.jpg
 
oldiron - glad it shoots good. Sorry it's not what you had hoped for.

Near as I can tell (?) I have an original Egyptian contract in 44Rem with a four digit serial number under the grip - a rare one then - missing lanyard ring though. There is no calibre designation anywhere as expected on this early batch of M1875s.

For those who like pics - here's how far in a virgin 44-40 case gets in my M1875 with clean chambers. Sorry bout the crappy camera colour balance.

IMG_0082.jpg


IMG_0083.jpg


IMG_0086.jpg

Nice gun looks like a early frame with the Slot shaped fireing pin the later ones and more common guns have the round fireing pins and round holes in the frame. i only have found two with the slot shaped fireing pins.
Good to see 44 Remington Chambered ones exist .
there very few and far between.

Read the next post below ... is that a resized 44 40 case because in 44 Remy ones ive seen the 44 40 sticks out alot more than that and i see a gap around the 44 40 case like it could go in deeper if it was resized ? If your 44 40 case is resized then it must be 44 remy but only you can tell if you use resized or factory 44 40 ammo to check.
 
Last edited:
Heres how far a factory new 44 40 goes in one of mine this one is in 44 Russian 44 sp (custom cylinder)
If your 44 40 case is not resized and shot in some other gun it will stick out of most 1875 remingtons the only way to be sure is to resize a 44 40 case or find a live round like in my pictures.
I bet if you resize the 44 40 case it will fit in that cylinder (if its not resized now) i say this because ive seen orignal 44 remy cylinders and a 44 40 resized round wont go in not as far as the one in your pictures ^

In the picture i have a 44 40 cartridge and a 44 sp cartridge the 44 sp fits perfect with no play the 44 40 sticks way out.
This gun drives tacks and that "custom cylinder" can handle a good smokeless load to.
These guns are very well made and in the set up i have with the .427 bore and 44 sp cylinder deadly accurate the bore in this gun is ex with the orignal twist gain rifleing.
this gun has the round fireing pin and round hole in the frame not the slot shaped one.
it also has no laynard ring its not missing it came from the factory like this.




 
Last edited:
Nice shooter Dingus. Super modification - will be much stronger too.

I bet if you resize the 44 40 case it will fit in that cylinder (if its not resized now) i
It's a unused factory new case (virgin) - as I mentioned already. I imagine a fired case would go even less. And there is no room around the case and a hammer would be needed to get it down in there. This seems an easy litmus test for 44REM to me and not too confusing - though I'm sure there are others - unless I'm wrong :)
 
Nice shooter Dingus. Super modification - will be much stronger too.


It's a unused factory new case (virgin) - as I mentioned already. I imagine a fired case would go even less. And there is no room around the case and a hammer would be needed to get it down in there. This seems an easy litmus test for 44REM to me and not too confusing - though I'm sure there are others - unless I'm wrong :)

Then it must be 44 Remy if your bore is alot bigger than .430 then you know for sure as all the 44 40 ones ive found (about 7) they all had under .430 dia bores. the 44 remy ones as you know used a heeled bullet which was alot bigger in dia than a 44 40 bullet or 44 sp.

The cylinder i have is pretty neat it has the orignal rear rachet off and old 1875 cylinder bushed into another modern made steel cylinder so it can use the orignal center shaft to.
It still needs to be nickled to match the gun and its front edges chamfered but it sure works great.
 
Back
Top Bottom