Remington 700 ultimate muzzeloader

Ed82

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Location
Alberta
Seen this thing in the cabelas catalogue but I can't figure out what it really is. They talk about using centerfire brass to hold the charges and it has a bol? Anybody know what it is or how it's supposed to work?
 
I really don't see the attraction to this :s but it's just me... if you want a muzzel loader then go with a real muzzle loader, if you want faster go with a bolt action... if you want really fast go with a semi auto!
 
I think they decided to go with a large rifle primer as the ignition system. The cartridge would be equivalent to the disc that the knights employ. Preload the brass with a primer and insert that in. IMO if it was "ultimate" they would have made it smokeless as well.
 
Way back when maybe in the early 90's savage had an inline that used smokeless powder and 32 acp primed brass out of a magazine to fire it. I have a write-up about it in a modern gun values book and I think it is from 1991.
 
Petew, I understand your sentiment but I'm sure when the CAPLOCK first came out, the Flint boys had the same feelings. (Perhaps they even wanted to start a new forum on the net to separate the Cap lock guys from the Flint boys.) I really like using cap locks and always get a laugh whenever I touch one off and the smoke flies. However I do envy the accuracy and ease of use the Inlines have. I think it's great just to get someone interested in Black Powder. Perhaps they will, one day, have the lights come on and realize that the Caplock is the way of the future and all this "Cartridge" stuff is just a passing fad.
 
Unfortunately the issue stems from the "Necessity to Harvest" and not the desire to hunt and get close. We are fast loosing the desire to hunt and stalk to get close in favour of long distance shooting. Scoring a buck has changed from " That's a dandy" "That's a great one" to "I made the record book !!!!" . far to many today feel they need to make that book, even if they are # 10,000 , LOL . The inline scoped ML was made to find a way around the spirit and intent of a relaxed season for a more difficulty way of hunting. It is sad that we see what is called a muzzle loader outshooting a 30-30. If the seasons were changed to "PRIMITIVE" the inline sales would plummet, and the manufacturers would be producing cap locks and Flinters again and more emphasis on Hunt would be put into hunting. Many seasons allowing a ML were created in populated areas because of the short range limitations of the Cap lock and Flint lock. Just wait as we see these seasons and areas slowly disappear.
 
After much consideration I bought one of these last Friday for the Deer season that opened this morning. Fired two shots yesterday to sight in the scope and brought it back home to clean. Did notice that the second bullet (250 Grain Hornady with Sabot) took a lot of pressure to ram home. Barrel was extremely fouled to the point that the first patch got almost totally seized about half way down the barrel. Was using 4 pellets of 7-7-7 as recommended by Remington. They even suggest in their video demo that it shouldn't need to clean it nearly as often as other muzzle loaders. After a hour I was still not happy with how clean I was getting it and set it down to call Remington in the morning.

My son dropped in this morning hoping I would join him on the hunt. He noticed that the primers had been pushed back in the cartridges about 1/16" when they were fired. Clearly a problem with the head-space. Loading them back into the gun didn't re-seat them.

Called Remington. They said it should not be fouling so quickly and said the head-space issue was clearly a problem. Told me not to fire and ship it back to them immediately.

Fortunately I bought at Cabelas and they will let me return it. Don't want to get stuck with another lemon so will look for something other than Remington. Suggestions in this price range???

IronRing58
 
Back
Top Bottom