Remington caps Vs CCI

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
I bought some Remington #11 caps for use with my 1851's after having problems with the CCI brand. About 15 % of the Remington caps failed to ignite even after multiple hits with the hammer,if they went off they would stay in place better than the CCI brand.
Just looking at the Remington caps reveals a lack of quality control,variations in color from one to the other and unreliable firing all add up to frustration.
These caps are not cheap at... $7.84/100 they cost more than .22LR ammo.
The caps are by far the weakest link when using these revolvers.
I am wondering if the old timers had as many problems in the 1800's or has the quality of caps gone downhill since the invention of cartridges???

RangeMarch202011002.jpg


RangeMarch202011003.jpg
 
I've used hundreds of Remingtons and thousands of CCI in my rifles and shotguns and never had one misfire with either brand. My understanding is that percussion pistols are designed to be used with size # 10 caps. Hopefully some cap pistol shooters will have first hand advice...
 
In the first picture the gun on the right is a .44 "Yank" and the # 11 caps are too small,the gun in the middle is a brass frame .36 and the #11 caps are too big the gun on the left is a 2010 Uberti and they fit O.K. but not really well.
I am starting to think that I am going to make all my guns the same size that will fit a common cap size.
 
Remington caps are made with brass as opposed to copper for the CCI. Makes them very difficult to pinch in a bit when they are a loose fit on a nipple. See if there is any way of increasing the tension on your mainspring so that you get a stronger hammer blow

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom