Remington Core Lokt - JUNK!

Bluffton Bill

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Camrose
I can't believe it.....well actually it doesn't surprise me. I recently picked up a new 25-06 Sako. When I bought it the dealer threw in 2 boxes of the cheapest ammo he had. PPU made in Serbia. I sighted in with it and was moderately surprised that the cheap stuff grouped so well. I wanted some better ammo so I picked up a couple boxes of Remington Core Lokt (it has worked well in the past) and was shocked by how much the group opened up (over 5"). Complete garbage. Things sure have changed at Remington. I'm going to blast them off at the steel gong and reload the brass, but what a disappointment!
 
f:P:

Every gun has preferences for ammo.

The same ammo might shoot very well out of another gun.

Bullet shape, and weight will do all kinds of things to your groups. It all has to do with the guns compatability with the ammo.

I can buy the most expensive bullets on the market, the best brass in the world, and benchrest primers, and without the proper load and testing I could get the same results as you.

This is why you test your gun with different ammo, and fins what your gun likes. Once you found the right ammo, use it and it alone.

Also my Marlin 336, and Marlin XS7 shoot those same core lokts better than any other cheap soft points out there.
 
I wouldn't throw Remington under the bus on this. On another note, that PPU ammo is good stuff and highly under rated. The brass seems to be quite good for reloads too.
 
Like people, rifles are individuals and will (usually) have a change in accuracy with different brands of ammo and bullet weights. Just because the Remington ammo did not group well in YOUR rifle does not mean its crap.
 
The PPU is awesome ammo. I recommend it as much as possible. Just because something is cheap in not-so-fancy packaging, doesn't make it junk. ;)
 
I also shoot a 25-06. It hates the 120gr Rem CorLokt but shoots the lighter CorLokt bullets ok.
Best groups are with Federal Premium Noslers though.
 
I can't believe it.....well actually it doesn't surprise me. I recently picked up a new 25-06 Sako. When I bought it the dealer threw in 2 boxes of the cheapest ammo he had. PPU made in Serbia. I sighted in with it and was moderately surprised that the cheap stuff grouped so well. I wanted some better ammo so I picked up a couple boxes of Remington Core Lokt (it has worked well in the past) and was shocked by how much the group opened up (over 5"). Complete garbage. Things sure have changed at Remington. I'm going to blast them off at the steel gong and reload the brass, but what a disappointment!

Any chance the weather changed as well?, if the temps dropped 10-20 degrees since your great groupings maybe the ammo/rifle combo do not like the colder temps.


I recently tried Core Lokt in 6.55x55mm and the group seemed pretty consistent for my setup.
 
A guy dropped a .30-06 Browning BAR off at my place and said it he couldn't get it to shoot. He also dropped off a partial box of 180 gr Remington Cor-Lokt with it. After looking the rifle over and before testing it, I cleaned it and bought a box of cheap 150 gr Winchester Power Points. The Cor-Lokts shot an 8 inch group at 100 yards. The cheap Winchesters shot a 1.5 inch group. No further testing is planned.
 
my rem 700 in 300wm likes core loks in 180gr shot quite a few moose with it like it was stated each rifle has its favorite
 
Core lokt is awesome in 6.5 x 55. My Swedish prints 2 " and the brass is really good too. But yeah every gun is slightly different some guns like one load and some like another its just the nature of the business
 
if you reload why use factory at all unless you want the brass?

Exactly, I needed the brass. I just could not believe how bad that junk shot. Usually factory ammo will group within a couple inches.....its factory after all and they load it to work over a wide range manufacturers. I'm not buying that my gun just doesn't like it. It was bad! I will bet I can cook up a half a dozen loads right out of the book and that Sako will put them into 1 to 1.5 inches. To get it under an inch will take some fussing.

I will never buy remington ammo again. And the comments on the PPU stuff being underated are spot on. It was nearly $10 bucks a box less!
 
You (often) get what you pay for!

I do believe that Core Lokt don't work too well in your rifle.
I've shot hundreds (240 to be exact) of 243 Win Core Lokt both 80gr and 100gr and got 1.5 - 2 MOA 5 shot group from ammo that I paid 14.75$ / box!

Not great accuracy but not that bad considering the price.
Very good ammo is typically 2 times more accurate and handloads are 3 times more accurate.

Alex
 
Add another to the Corelokt fan list here. I won't shoot any other factory ammo in my .30-06. I've tried dozens, not can hold a candle to the groups I get with the corelokts.

I agree with those that say they just don't fit your rifle well.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom