Remington Roller

oldiron

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Location
central Alberta
I'm going to post this R.R. for sale soon, I don't know a lot about it, or a value. Just not my thing. It's in great shape inside and out, 7mm gun, with 30 in. barrel. Any help with ID or history, and ball-park value, would be great. Thanks in advance, Bill..

RemRoller001.jpg
 
Look at the patent dates on the receier, its eather an 1897 or a 1902. These are the last rollers made by remington, the "smokeless action". They were chambered in numbers like the 30-40 krag, 8mm lebel, and 7mm "SM" some think it means "spanish mauser".

Theres alot of crap floating around on the net that these will explode if you look at them sideways, most of it is unproven. Value depends on who you can sell it to, most guys arent that interested in the smokeless military single shots. What these are in demand for is building into a big, heavy and unwieldy BPCR rifle.

Every one of these guns I've shot had a terrible trigger pull. You really have to stand on it.

I looked for one for ages and payed 500 bucks for one with the matching bayonet. Mine was a Mexican army one, Im not sure about yours. I seem to remember some branch of the Canadian army or the rangers or something like that bought some to use for foraging, but I'm not sure about this.

The rifling on those is often washed out or rusted out. If yours is in good shape its a keeper. Yours looks like it is indeed in VERY nice shape. Personally I think you should keep it for a bit, because alot of these were stripped of their military stocks and turned into 444 marlins, 45-70s with a barrel available from Numrich or redone into one of the big black powder cartridges. These guns are becoming more and more scarce with each one thats refitted for the latest shooting fad.

These can be done up into a very nice sporter using some excellent cartridges if you want a nice hunting gun made up and you choose to change the configuration, its a shame these actions are used for the black powder cartridges and not used to their full capabilities. I've come across one fella who had one with a new 7mm octagon barrel on it, with some nice checkered walnut and a nice old unertl scope on it, it was a very beautiful and unique hunting rifle. Because the 7mm have a rimless extractor, theres some neat possibilites for them, like a little roller that will take a 45 acp for example.

They shoot well with the federal 7mm mauser 175 grain factory loads or at least as good as you can see with the tiny sights. Again there is alot of crap on the net that these rupture cases, have excessive headspace or will explode if you cut a loud fart around them. All the info I have ever found on them is annecdotal, third or 4th hand and usually generated by people who've never seen or shot the guns.
 
Back
Top Bottom