Remington UMC 223 55 gr ballistics

Grizzlypeg

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Location
Winnipeg
Where can I find long range ballistics (to 500 yards) for Remington's L223R3 ammunition? Their website stops at 200 yards. I want this for target shooting purposes. Should I just punch the data into a ballistic calculator? Any idea what sort of range this ammo can be accurately shot to? Is 500 yards realistic?
 
Last edited:
Really depends on the 'batch' I had stuff that would shoot .8 all day long out of my 700P then I bought another case and now Im at 1.5 + - @ 100
 
Really depends on the 'batch' I had stuff that would shoot .8 all day long out of my 700P then I bought another case and now Im at 1.5 + - @ 100

Yikes. That's quite a variance. I just bought an AR15 with a 24" target barrel and this is the most readily available ammo locally. I've shot a bit of it and am still not sure of its accuracy at 100. I'm going to try another scope as I want to eliminate that as a source of error. I tried a couple of other brands and weights and got similar results (about 1.5"@ 100 y), so I'm hopeful that it will shot well when I get a better scope on the rifle.
 
i handloaded a few hundred of the 55 grain FMJs and at 100 yards , they were "JUNK"....Found out thru a contact in the shooting game that the 55 FMJs are the poorest bullets to try for target accuracy. I switched to 69 grain and for the first time I am shooting under 1 inch at 100 from the same gun. Next outing will be the setup for 200 yards. But my 222 loves the 55 grains so I have not lost at all.
 
Yeah stupid me, I threw 200 rounds into a .50 cal ammo can ( the accurate stuff ) and then proceeded to shoot a bunch then I mixed in the bad stuff 'assuming' it would all be 'good':mad:

On a 'redeeming' note the hornady 40/53 gr is good to the tune of .4 + -
 
What is available off the shelf for 223 that would shoot well in a 1/8 twist barrel? That 45 gr Winchester varmint pack ammo shoots great through my 1/12 twist bolt action rifle. I was hoping something in a 55 or heavier was out there. What's the military shooting out of their Ar's?
 
This is what I had. I only used it for a short time though:

range 100 200 300 400 500
Calc 0 -1.5 -3.9 -7 -10.8
Day1 0 -1.5 -3.75 -7.5 -12.25
Day2 0 --- --- --- -12.25
Day3 0 --- --- -7 -12.25

Drop is in MOA. This is all prone off a magazine in the snow though, so take it with a grain of salt.
 
Last edited:
According to the Shooter's Bible 1998 Edition

.223 Remington R223R3 55grs. Metal Case
Long-range trajectory in inches

100yds 1.9
150yds 1.6
200yds 0.0
250yds -3.2
300yds -8.4
400yds -26.2
500yds -57.9

for 24" barrels, calculated by computer based on the best available data for each round.

Guns Illustrated 2008 basically has the same figures for 223 Remington 55grs less approximately 5%, so 300yds is -9.0 and 400yds is -27.0
 
Last edited:
What is available off the shelf for 223 that would shoot well in a 1/8 twist barrel? That 45 gr Winchester varmint pack ammo shoots great through my 1/12 twist bolt action rifle. I was hoping something in a 55 or heavier was out there. What's the military shooting out of their Ar's?

Military shoots 62gr FMJBT I think (but someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong) and not .223 but 5.56 so its a little hotter ammo.
 
I'm getting some inconsistent results with this ammo and I can't be quick to blame it on the ammo and not me or the gun. I cleaned the barrel with a copper and nitro cleaner and fired a first shot. Beautiful dead center at 100 yards. Hey, at least the scope and mount are solid. Shot another and it was off 1.5" to the right, another low, another right. After 20 shots I switched to another box that I had been using the previous outing and had gotten good results. First two shots touching and the next three within 3/4". So, I'm not sure what to think.

What brand and weight should I buy to test the gun's potential before I decide whether or not to reload some heavier ammo like 69 grain? It is a 24" 1/8 twist heavy stainless barrel, I believe a Kreiger made for Armalite.
 
Take a look at the head's on these bullets. All of them are different seating levels in the case. My friend baught 2 boxes, one he re-seated & crimped them. The other box he used as is. From his bolt savage he got a 4 & 1/4" with his untouched box but the box he re-done got 1 & 3/4" group. Still not great but defenatly tightened up his groups. Although I would never buy it.
 
So is it fair to say I'm getting normal results from this ammo? Some 3-5 shot groups .75" or less and some annoying flyers off to 1.5"?
 
Umc .223

My rifle shoots IVI 62 grain MOA at 600 and the UMC 55 grain into about MOBARNDOOR at 300; with a 26" 1-8" twist barrel. I think it's crap; but that's just my .02 cents;).
 
I just opened a couple of new boxes of this stuff and discovered that roughly half the ammo in any given box has silver primers and half have brass coloured primers. All mixed. They can't even use the same primers in one batch of cartridges? How do I know they even used the same powder in all 20 cartridges in a box?
 
Bought a box of 69 grain Remington Match grade HPBT ammo. $33.00 ouch!!!! I only fired off 6 of them, but it wasn't shooting as well as the 55 grain UMC. The 69's produced a vertical string that veered off a little to the right. I switched back to the 55's and put 3 inside an inch with two almost touching. That's more like it. The 55's seem to be the best off the shelf so far. I tried winchester 55's and they don't group well at all.

Only thing I haven't tried yet is the hunting ammo like Federal and Remington 55 grainers. Or maybe some of that Ruag (sp?) 62 or is it 69? I'm still unable to reload 223. Waiting for a 223 shell holder.
 
Bought a box of 69 grain Remington Match grade HPBT ammo. $33.00 ouch!!!! I only fired off 6 of them, but it wasn't shooting as well as the 55 grain UMC. The 69's produced a vertical string that veered off a little to the right. I switched back to the 55's and put 3 inside an inch with two almost touching. That's more like it. The 55's seem to be the best off the shelf so far. I tried winchester 55's and they don't group well at all.

Only thing I haven't tried yet is the hunting ammo like Federal and Remington 55 grainers. Or maybe some of that Ruag (sp?) 62 or is it 69? I'm still unable to reload 223. Waiting for a 223 shell holder.

RUAG GP90 is 63gr FMJ. It is $850/1000 so quite a bit cheaper than the match ammo you tried, and I am willing to bet it will out shoot it too.

Have you tried the PMC 55gr ammo?
 
RUAG GP90 is 63gr FMJ. It is $850/1000 so quite a bit cheaper than the match ammo you tried, and I am willing to bet it will out shoot it too.

Have you tried the PMC 55gr ammo?

No haven't tried it yet. I don't know if I've seen PMC ammo here in Winnipeg. Winchester, Remington and Federal are about all I've seen lately.
 
Back
Top Bottom