Remmington .22lr Thunderbolt Sucks.

greg11

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
This ammo blows IMO, lots of misfires today at the range. Not impressed.

Just an FYI, any additional thoughts/opinions welcome...

P.S. whats an excellent by-the-brick .22lr round?
 
I agree. The brick I had contained many malformed bullets and left teh action of my semi auto full of powder grains. Accuracy poor.
By the brick, I use the CCI blazer it is very clean and very accurate in any rifle I have tried it in. Federal bulk pack hollow point is another winner, and if you want the best get Winchester power point. Only comes in red plastic boxes of 100 40 grain hollow point at 1250. Designed for controlling 12-14 pound European hare population in Australia. Really hits gophers hard.
 
I had a few feeding problems with the Thunderbolts, but no misfires. I was running them in a 10/22 and a single shot Cooey. I've only bought the one box and found that you can move the bullet about 15 degrees side to side thus the feeding problems.

What gun are you using them in? I would suggest you buy boxes of 50 in every brand you find until you know what works in your gun.

peace...
 
I had some issues one time with a 100 round box of Rem .22 ammo and I sat down and wrote Remington a nice courteous letter explaining the issues I had experienced. About 3 months later a box containing 3 bricks of ammo arrived at my door.:) I believe the issue had more to do with the gun I was using than the ammo as I sold that gun shortly after and have never had an ammo issue yet with the rifle I have had since then.
 
They suck in my experiance , I had a few bricks that I bought as they were on sale and they were garbage , misfire after misfire sounding like a dog fart and that is if they even went off.
 
This ammo blows IMO, lots of misfires today at the range. Not impressed.

Just an FYI, any additional thoughts/opinions welcome...

P.S. whats an excellent by-the-brick .22lr round?

Had the same thing happen to me with both .22 pistols and rifles. The thunderbolts do indeed suck...
 
thats funny, I just bought a brick of thunderbolts dirt cheap from le baron (just under 18 bucks plus tax) and they worked flawlessly in my mosquito, 15-22 and 10/22. the mosquito is usually picky with ammo but had no problems with thunderbolts

also bought a brick of win wildcats and that was #### ammo, wouldnt cycle in the mosquito at all and several were duds

generally I find that blazer 40 gr bulk packs are excellent as well as 36-40 gr federal / american eagle (bulk packs and bricks) are quite reliable

also tried win 555 bulk packs but those also had many duds
 
I find Thunderbolts to work quite well. As well as any other rim fire ammo I have tried.

But that being said, one of my rifles LOVES that dirty cheap Winchester Wildcat stuff. So it could just be I have the outcast rifles who the other ones laughed at.
 
"...suggest you buy boxes of 50 in every brand..." Yep. You have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best before you buy in bulk. .22's are just like that.
 
IMO, American eagle and CCI blaze are the best $/performance .22 ammo out there. I have used both thunder bolt and WW wildcat .22 and they are the worst ever, for the few $$ in savings, it is not worth it. Pay a bit more and save your self tons of headaches. None of my .22 rifles or pistols worked with TB or WC.
 
I think there must have been a bad bunch of t-bolts, because I have guns that eat everything but t-bolts reliably. Since the two bricks that sucked, I've avoided them. Other people have good experiences. I'm guessing there was a bad lot that some of us got. I can't see a big company like remington doing 22lr wrong for long.
 
I, unfortunately, bought a 5,000 round box of Thunder Bolts.

This was the "Dirtiest" ammo I've ever run across. After 10 rounds in my Pistol, the slide was almost glued from residue to the point it would not pick up and chamber another shell. I also had many misfires, failure to ejects and probably every problem you "can" have. I ended up giving the rest of the case away to a friend who had just bought a single shot for his son (for his "1st" real rifle).

That's the only good thing I can say about this, it helped introduce a new shooter and a couple of his friends into the Shooting Sports.
 
Back
Top Bottom