Removing Rifling From 12 Ga. Slug Gun For BP Conversion?

nw mb

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Okay, don't be too hard on me here...

Decades ago I had a Pedersolli SxS BP shotgun that I used to hunt ducks with. I really enjoyed it. That gun is long gone. Now I have an itch to do so again. I have an H&R slug gun that I ruined by trying to drill and tap it for a scope (I know, I know...but it's the only fail I've ever had...time to confess). There's an outfit in the states that sells a plug for the chamber that utilizes a 209 primer that converts a shotgun into a ML and would seal the chamber holes drilled. Is there a way to remove the micro-grooving of my H&R so that I could convert it into a cheap single-shot ML shotgun for waterfowl as a project for me this winter? A plug would also allow easier cleaning than the Pedersolli...

Thanks...
 
What about shooting it with the rifling to see how it patterns? I have seen ppl shoot shot out of rifled barrels before.

Not ideal but I think you get my drift.
 
What about shooting it with the rifling to see how it patterns? I have seen ppl shoot shot out of rifled barrels before.

Not ideal but I think you get my drift.

...now there's an idea...do i need a cup to protect my bbl from steel? but then i'd guess that it might be more affected than using a felt pad? then again, steel down the bore might just take care of the rifling?

...and by the way...if you've never shot ducks with a BP you don't know what you're missing...it's a real scream!
 
Last edited:
Try it worst case you may end up with a 75 cal muzzloader. I'm not sure of the twist rates for stability though. Is that Breech plug safe for smokeless also? Or do they rate it only for black powder?
 
I understand WHY you want to attempt this, however you will probably exceed the value of the gun. More discouraging would be the dsiappointing results. IMHO hunting time is too valueable (especially the older you get and the less time/more committments you have) to spoil it with an ineffective POS bubba-ed gun!!!! I know how pissed off I get when I miss that duck or bird with a good gun LOL.... Sometimes when we make mistakes in life it is best to move on and chock it up to lessons learned!
 
Removing the rifling will cost more than the thing is worth to replace. And if you drilled a hole into the chamber an inexpensive plug isn't going to fix it.
What model H&R? Maybe there's another way.
 
Back
Top Bottom