Reproduction Brown Bess recommendations?

Acer saccharum

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for the best source for a Brown Bess (Specifically a Long Land Pattern musket) reproduction.

I know of a few sellers, specifically:
-Pedersoli, although theirs is a Short Land Pattern, and supposedly historically inaccurate. Priced through Cabela's for $999.99 USD
-Military Heritage, price: $579.00 CAD
-Veteran Arms, price: $575 USD
-Flintlock Sales and Gunsmithing, price: $575 USD
-Loyalist Arms, price: $840 CAD/$630 USD (Steel hardware instead of brass, think they'll give me the American price?)

If anyone has a recommendation for which of the above to choose from, or if anyone knows of a superior option which I should pursue, I would be very interested to hear. I'm not sure if Veteran Arms and Flintlock Sales and Gunsmithing are perhaps sourcing their muskets from the same third party, or if it is just a coincidence of pricing. Also, I have heard from multiple sources that Military Heritage are not particularly well made.

Anything anyone may have to say to either confirm or refute what I've read about these various vendors, it would go a long way towards helping me make a future purchasing decision.

Also, my apologies if something like this has been covered elsewhere on the forums, I searched various terms, but couldn't find anything.
 
I do believe both Military Heritage and Loyalist Arms import thier newly made Brown Bess's, from the exact same overseas manufacturer in India.

The rest, I'm not 100% sure friend. But I strongly suspect they also import as well.
 
Last edited:
buy a pedersoli the last 4 you gave are all made in india and should be treated as non shooters from what ive seen witth the workmanship with these id not shoot it with a 100ft string

pedersolis are worth it better lock time and the breech plug is actually threaded into the barrel
 
If you look in the EE, there is an India Pattern reproduction made by Bob Seymour on Yonge Street in Toronto. The historical accuracy of this piece is better than any that you have listed. Bob made the guns used at Fort York. I know you want an Long Land musket, but have a look at this one. Bob made Long Lands, Short Lands, Sea Service, French 1717s, all with quite an eye for detail.
 
I'll wade in and - if you don't go with the last post (sounds like an excellent option) - and if you're ambitious - consider building one. Track of the Wolf has components (and I do believe plans) for the Bessie

edit: just checked, they even have kits. I cannot speak to the historical accuracy, but something to consider: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/603/1
 
Well, a big thank you for the suggestions everyone, some very useful advice in there. Antiqueguy, thanks for the heads up. I had read some grumblings about quality from a few different sources, but I had no idea they were as bad as you say. I'll definitely consider them with a healthy dose of skepticism from now on.

tiriaq, thanks for pointing out the Bob Seymour musket. It does sound really amazing from the description, but I'm just doing my research at the moment, so I'm afraid some lucky enthusiast will almost certainly have picked it up for themselves before I will be in a position to make an offer. Tantalizing all the same, though.

NorthCoastBigBore, it's funny you should mention Track, I just ordered their Type C trade rifle kit. It will be not just my first kit firearm, nor just my first black powder firearm, but my first firearm of any variety. If I have an inordinate amount of fun putting it together, I'll probably go with a kit for the Bess too, as per your suggestion. If it turns out to be a less than joyful experience, I think I'll probably end up purchasing one, and based on the suggestions here, it looks like Pedersoli is the way to go-li.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I don't even think the pronunciations match, but I was feeling reckless.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone, they were very illuminating and will be a fantastic help when it comes time to purchase.
 
Glad to hear

I'm also building a kit this winter, a .36 cal for my daughter (parts through TOTW). Not my first kit or firearm though. If you run into issues I have no doubt folks here will assist.

I got sidetracked with bodywork on my truck, but I'll put up some photos closer to completion

Good luck with whatever you decide
 
Last edited:
That Seymour India Pattern has been btt'd a few times.
I knew Bob, spent some time in the workshop under the store. The reproduction musket parts that he was having cast were the best I have ever seen. Better than anything that you can get from other sources now. Cast in Canada, too. This was 40 years ago. How time flies. I've often wondered what happened to his dies. He was skilled.
 
Jeepers the OP is gonna have some competition on that one (lucky for him my budget is gone for the foreseeable future, you're talking me into that one)

It's definitely a rare art nowadays. Much appreciate the skill and craftmanship that goes into such custom builds. Everytime I get into a project like that and see how far my results pale from some of those 'smiths just makes me appreciate fine craftmanship that much more.
 
Well, a big thank you for the suggestions everyone, some very useful advice in there. Antiqueguy, thanks for the heads up. I had read some grumblings about quality from a few different sources, but I had no idea they were as bad as you say. I'll definitely consider them with a healthy dose of skepticism from now on.

yes they are that bad ive seen pic of one that the tang screw has holding the breech plug in i have doubts of the breech plug fit in other ones and the locks are not well made
 
yes they are that bad ive seen pic of one that the tang screw has holding the breech plug in i have doubts of the breech plug fit in other ones and the locks are not well made

I remember the last time you posted the photo.
Folks would like to see it.
 
Both of the Besses I have owned have had official duty at fort york during parade, one Is a Indian made longland that my buddy is still giving hard use to and the other is the pedersoli I built from one of their unfinished kits.

Loyalist offers sales and service of muskets, Military heritage offers only sales--The loyalist muskets I have owned and used are a step beyond the military heritage arms.

I really love my pedersoli, lock part interchangeability is a big plus and the European walnut stock is nice "mine is premium with much figure"


I own a few different arms , modern and antique....Id choose my bess over them All, she never fails me.
 
Back
Top Bottom