Reproduction Brown Bess recommendations?

... Holy smokes. That is quite the failure. Are the companies in question criminally liable in the event of a failure mode which causes injury, or can they prove that it was operator error in court? I assume this kind of thing can't go on without the manufacturers, distant though they be, being held to task.

I thought it might be fun to take one of those Indian-made muskets and use it as the donor for a paintball gun project at some point in the future. That's starting to sound like it's about all they're good for.

So, it seems that the conclusions come down to this: Pedersoli, TOTW kit, (edit) EE for something of similar quality, or go home and keep your digits intact. Never expected it to come out so cut and dry. I had anticipated at least one or two people putting their opinions behind one of the alternate sources, but it would appear that was wishful thinking. Mayhaps I'll head out into the interwebs and see if anyone else has had as bad an experience as in the photos, or if it was an abnormal occurrence.
 
Last edited:
Don't forget the EE option Tiriaq mentioned. Sounds like an incredible build that could appreciate in value (document the provenance now).

As far as liability goes, if these are the guns coming in with no flash holes drilled and no proof marks, then - unless you have something in writing or very reliable witnesses to a statement from the supplier indicating that these guys are safe to shoot - "without more" (note that), you are out of luck.
 
Last edited:
did i well id have to see if i can find it then

http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.c...wtopic/id/1466 this is it right here

Holy smokes. That is quite the failure. Are the companies in question criminally liable in the event of a failure mode which causes injury, or can they prove that it was operator error in court? I assume this kind of thing can't go on without the manufacturers, distant though they be, being held to task.
Scroll down the pages and read the "White Report"!

Do a Google search!

There has been allot written on the subject of this gun and the White Report to boot.

Conclusion,,,,,Shooter Error - multiple loads in barrel

Like a Pedersoli would hold up to that also. :confused:
 
Yes, I did find the materials you mentioned since I made that last post. Nor could I find other mentions of any India-manufactured firearms failing. Of course, the majority of the sources were from reenactors, so very little pressure in the barrels. I saw mention of a lab being sent a couple to do some destructive testing-to-failure for pressure limits on the barrels/breech plug assembly, but I couldn't find the results. In any case, from the materials readily available, it appears as you said: the failure was neither common nor related to the manufacturing process, just dramatic and dangerous enough to draw a lot of attention to the Indian muskets.
 
Well, it's not exactly the same but I do have a Indian made & brass barrelled blunderbuss. The breeching and lockwork appears to me to be identical to a reproduction BB.
I did a cursory proof test, shot it quite a bit at the range and even hunted it. I think it's safe to say I've fired it about 35-40 times with no issues.
Take that for what it's worth.
 
NorthCoastBigBore, thank you friend! I guess it's just inevitable that these similar breeched arms garrner so much attention. Again I find myself in a BP discussion with the usual suspects and feeling very comfortable. It should be no surprize to anyone that knows me that I've just agreed to purchase another non-historical/non-politically correct ROA. :)
Some day I might (will) correct this oversight with an open top Colt. Surely a .58 Enfield must be somewhere out there waiting for me!?
I guess it (never) stops right?

Sorry for the OT stray friends.
 
Last edited:
NorthCoastBigBore, thank you friend! I guess it's just inevitable that these similar breeched arms garrner so much attention. Again I find myself in a BP discussion with the usual suspects and feeling very comfortable. It should be no surprize to anyone that knows me that I've just agreed to purchase another non-historical/non-politically correct ROA. :)
Some day I might (will) correct this oversight with an open top Colt. Surely a .58 Enfield must be somewhere out there waiting for me!?
I guess it stops right?

Sorry for the OT stray friends.

Your welcome -

I know the feeling, where does it end?
 
Back
Top Bottom