Restoration or new build projects this year

@rwnblack

It's great to see just how far gone some of these parts were and what you have been able to get them back to.

I'm in the very early stages of this type of hobby.
Currently have an 1885 low wall ( 1886 serial # ) just back from the gunsmith with a new chrome moly octagonal parallel / round tapered 25" barrel.
Chambered 22 K hornet
Single set trigger
I managed to track down a 10x unertl with mounts and bases
It all came together very quickly in the end.
I'm out hunting hares and rabbits with it " in the white " with a rough mock up stock I made to be able to get the unertl in the correct place.
Now I need to get cracking on the proper walnut stock and once that is done the slow rust bluing.
It's going to be my every day walking rifle around the farm and should get plenty of use.

I have a Stevens 44 1/2 coming in soon from Australia.
Going by the images its pretty tired and neglected. But should be a good next project after the 1885 is finished.
Have done up a few other older rifles last winter as practice and moved them on once finished.

Like you I am only doing up rifles that for one reason or another are not "collector grade" but are perfect for every day shooting.
I sold off all the rifles I could no longer use because they were to valuable to someone else as collectors pieces.

But being down here in New Zealand there is a fairly thin supply of the sort of firearms that get me excited.
You do hear about things all the time when it's to late !!
It's all about networking and getting it out there.

We might lack the volume of variety of classic firearms but we certainly don't lack the hunting.
I'm looking forward to being able to show you guys what the hunting and gun scene is like down here

Cheers
 
Learning to do Case hardening is going to be my project next winter

Will look for a kiln and find a couple of old receivers as test pieces.
Have looked at plenty of youtube videos
But nothing better than info from an expert amiture and just try and try again

Cheers
 
I casehardened a swedish rolling block today. Other than a couple weeks of applications of oil to the stocks I am hoping to complete this rifle tommorow.

IMG_1085.JPGIMG_1086.JPG
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1085.JPG
    IMG_1085.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_1086.JPG
    IMG_1086.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 298
Your abilities at rebuilding and particularly refinishing, considerably outweigh mine. I would like to colour case harden but apart from not being set up for it, I am afraid of warping the frame

cheers mooncoon
 
I screw the tang in the action and in falling blocks I wire the block in the frame. I also heat to below critical temp and let cool another 100 degrees before I quench. I haven’t had any issues with warpage since I made those changes. I have been playing with this for about 23 years and am finally getting to the point I am happy with the colours, most of the time.
 
Almost finished the big beast, just need to put another 10 coats of oil on the stock. I put it together in it's current state to take some pics. I should have weighed it before I took it apart again. My guess is 50lbs with the scope.

9BCA5686-3057-4CC8-8DFA-03924330CC46.jpegC229DE37-5D71-44A3-ADD6-919C5A82EABA.jpegIMG_1090.JPGIMG_1091.JPG
 

Attachments

  • 9BCA5686-3057-4CC8-8DFA-03924330CC46.jpeg
    9BCA5686-3057-4CC8-8DFA-03924330CC46.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 244
  • C229DE37-5D71-44A3-ADD6-919C5A82EABA.jpeg
    C229DE37-5D71-44A3-ADD6-919C5A82EABA.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1091.JPG
    IMG_1091.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 243
So you had a spare truck axle laying around and needed something to do with it then ?
Is there a mount under the barrel for a set of wheels ?

But in all seriousness it does look very well finished

What is the scope .. a hi-lux Malcolm or MVA ?

I have a 3x Short Malcolm and offset mounts coming from USA to go on my 50 cal muzzleloader so that I can have 100m game shooting accuracy
 
I think this barrel is heavier than most truck axles! Maybe it is from a steam engine? The scope is a 28" MVA, they make very nice scopes.
 
I cased another action today, turned out nicely.

IMG_0109.jpgIMG_0112.jpgIMG_0111.jpgIMG_0104.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 357
I just assembled a ballard I am building. A buddy picked up the rust but solid forged frame. I bought a piece of walnut from Windsor Plywood, the barrel is made from a TJ liner in 38-55 with a 1:14 twist. I casehardened it today but the steel box fell out of my tongs into the tank before the action fully left the box, lots of blues and not much greys browns or reds this time. I still need to add a buch more coats of oil to the stock but I wanted to get it together and check it out.

IMG_1121.JPGIMG_1115.JPGIMG_1120.JPGIMG_1119.JPG
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1121.JPG
    IMG_1121.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_1115.JPG
    IMG_1115.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_1120.JPG
    IMG_1120.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1119.JPG
    IMG_1119.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 310
Here is another I just completed on a nice little Martini action I bought here on gunnutz. Not exactly black powder but it is a single shot. More pics are posted in the rimfire section.
IMG_1167.JPG
IMG_1172.JPGACD296DB-6790-449D-A86D-6DADCF413F82.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_1172.JPG
    IMG_1172.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 254
  • ACD296DB-6790-449D-A86D-6DADCF413F82.jpeg
    ACD296DB-6790-449D-A86D-6DADCF413F82.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 255
I casehardened a Stevens 44 yesterday and it turned out well. I am thinking I might sell it at the Saskatoon gun show in a couple of weeks. We will see it has a new 22 barrel inside and shoots really well now.

EA674CC1-0025-4B4D-87CC-BDCE005C704F.jpeg474F0C9A-40B5-4344-AEBB-D343D6828E21.jpegB0E1601D-C52D-41C4-8CF8-2913537AC5A2.jpeg17BE96C4-F731-4340-9E71-21DE451AA7A9.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • EA674CC1-0025-4B4D-87CC-BDCE005C704F.jpeg
    EA674CC1-0025-4B4D-87CC-BDCE005C704F.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 474F0C9A-40B5-4344-AEBB-D343D6828E21.jpeg
    474F0C9A-40B5-4344-AEBB-D343D6828E21.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 205
  • B0E1601D-C52D-41C4-8CF8-2913537AC5A2.jpeg
    B0E1601D-C52D-41C4-8CF8-2913537AC5A2.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 205
  • 17BE96C4-F731-4340-9E71-21DE451AA7A9.jpeg
    17BE96C4-F731-4340-9E71-21DE451AA7A9.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 204
Back
Top Bottom