Restore or Preserve 1750s Cannon - Thoughts

I've been involved in a number of nautical restorations with cannon and cannon balls in particular.
To remove rust I've always used a tank with a citric acid solution, stiff nylon brush & patience.
What r the dimensions of this gun. It looks like Carron ironworks to me, it was on the Firth of Forth , they were responsible for the shorter gun with the accuracy of the longer cannon
 
I've been involved in a number of nautical restorations with cannon and cannon balls in particular.
To remove rust I've always used a tank with a citric acid solution, stiff nylon brush & patience.
What r the dimensions of this gun. It looks like Carron ironworks to me, it was on the Firth of Forth , they were responsible for the shorter gun with the accuracy of the longer cannon

The gun is 54inchs. Carron was an early consideration, but nothing firm.
 
Few yrs back read a US article on old cannons typically sandblasted, then finished for display. A friend of mine has a sandblast business, I would deliver steel machinery for him to clean up prior to machinists doing their work, he told me he could do cannons too.
It looks like old paint on the surface now, as someone above said, sandblast old paint and prepare for restoration work. You may have options on grit of beads or PSI used.
 
Regardless of what you do to restore it(leave it as/is, sandblast/epoxy or turn it down to a smooth outside surface) some non destructive testing might be in order (mag particle, x-ray or ultra sound) to determine the soundness off the casting. Otherwise when you touch her off there might be A REALLY BIG BANG and resulting shrapnel storm.
 
Back
Top Bottom