Restoring a Winchester 1876. (original)

frichtie

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Location
Québec
Hi all,

The rifle is a 50-95 Express cal, Deluxe third model.

I'm that close to taking a decision on whether or not restoring it.

I need to find the following: A good stock smith, someone to perform the colourcase hardening/reblue the barrel. (In Canada)

Also, I read that some spare parts from Chaparral fit the original 1876? True or not? I need a dust-cover and a full length magazine.



I'm in nooooo hurry, as I expect this will not be cheap...and can take 4-5 years. (Got a mortgage, kids....)

Thanks in advance for any input,

-Eric
 
It is in fair condition. The action cycles well, but the old lady was the victim of bad storage. (pitting)
I'll see if I can post some pics.
 
90ab3df890.jpg
90ac6db103.jpg
90ad885131.jpg
 
I like to see them kept as close to original as possible and NOT refinish them. You can get some good / great advise from guys on here and other places about how to lightly clean it and revitalize it without a full blown restoration that ends up looking like a new rifle instead of a 120 yr old one........and the historical story is lost.
 
I also have a model 1886 (45-70, early production) that is in much better shape and will NOT be refinished as I know it should be kept original.
However, my 1876 is a pity to look at. Only some 62 000 model 1876 were ever made. Among which around 3 300 in Express caliber and of course even less in "Deluxe" version.
How many left the factory with half-octagonal barrels?...
This one had its magazine shortened (confirmed in the Cody Museum letter) is missing its dust cover, but still shows strong rifling.
It's pitted all over and the buttstock was broken and poorly (to say the least) glued back together.

If it was worth top-dollars I'd leave it as is, and maybe sell it. But it's not worth that much, and in my opinion can only benefit from a restoration. (not cheap I know)
I'm not going to put the barrel on a lathe, or sand the woods with 100 grit sand paper. Most of all, I'm not going to touch it myself if I'm not 100% sure
i'm not messing it up. That's why I'm here, asking for some good adresses where professionals can help.
Wow! All I wrote in english...just imagine what it's like when I use french!

-Eric
 
Can you post a picture of the opposite side. Is the butt stock broken on each side? Has the barrel been shortened? how's the bore?

Restoration will be very expensive. You will need a walnut blank that's highly figured, have it turned, fitted, finished and checkered...finding someone willing to take on the work an issue in Canada. Lots of hand polishing to bring the metal back......will have to be completely dismantled. There is a chap in NS that does an Ok case colour. Brst guy is Doug Turnbull in NY however you need deep pockets.

I'd evaluate the originality of the rifles features before sinking $'s into this. Might be best to sell and replace with one that's in better condition.

Interesting project though.

Ron
 
Yes the stock is broken on each sides. It probably broke apart. And was glued back together. I was told it can be fixed, for the price of a model '94!
The barrel is still original length. (26'' if I remember)
I can post more images tomorrow. I'm told a gentleman in Nove-Scotia does a good case colour. (Oskar Kob)
A complete restoration by Turnbull would probably cost around $6-8 000.00 u.s.d. but I'm not going to spend that kind of money. And I want it done in Canada.
As I said, I'm in no hurry and might as well decide to let it go!
Thanks for your input.

-Eric
 
Repair is possible and can be made almost transparent however you need a guy with a good wood supply to match up your existing stock grain and colour and exceptional talent. You'd be lucky to get this done for the cost of a "Model 94". If you're going to restore go to a replacement. Again you have to look at the investment and I'd be more concerned over the metal refinish as it's very time consuming to polish out and recolour to the correct finishes. Hot caustic blue just won't look right on this piece and that's what you are going to get at most shops these days. Seen lots of rifles improperly restored that have greatly diminished their value. Could sell as is and move onto something else.
 
I think I'm finished thinking...
So here's what's most probably gonna happen: The rifle will NOT be restored back to ''as new'' condition.

Missing dust-cover and full length magazine will be replaced. The stock will be fixed. Maybe this rifle is a shooter (?), but I got other good looking

rilfes that ARE perfect shooters. So I'll let the old lady quiet. It's a rare and nice antique and it deserve to be properly preserved and displayed!

Thank you all for your input,

-Eric
 
Back
Top Bottom