Revolver ball lube

maliboy67

Regular
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Anyone here ever use anhydrous lanolin as lube in a BP revolver? I have been using a felt wad on top of my powder charge and putting the lube between it and the ball. The lube actually makes it into the bore and keeps fouling soft instead of blowing all over the gun and the range. I have been using Wonder lube but have a pound of anhydrous lanolin left over from making Ed's red cleaner.
 
yea, if you dig up the ancient recipes you'll find lanolin as a lube, back when the drug stores sold salt peter otc- then the genuises took oever and we got things like bore butter ,etc- i still use crisco on top of my balls, but i've also used rendered pig lard
used to use castor oil as case lube as well
 
I mix some into my lubes but I don't think that I would try to deal with that sticky goop straight while at the range.

Possibly trycutting it with Crisco or lard? Maybe even with beeswax.
 
cap and ball lube

I have always used mil-spec axle grease on top of my bullets on a cap-and ball revolver and NEVER any fouling or leading. I can shoot over a hundred shots without the need to clean my Ruger old army. That sh''t smells like puke but so very effective.:stirthepot2:
 
Always used plain old tenderflake.

If you have a dog I can imagine the axle grease being more desirable, ever seen what happens to a dog who comes across a pound of lard sitting in an unattended tool box?

You better have a tile floor is all I have to say::eek:
 
crisco tends to run in temp of abut 85-90 f- that's why i use wheel bearing lube from tire when it gets above shirtsleeve weather
 
Crisco in my ROA. Never a problem. to keep the mess down I got a small syringe for rinsing your eyes. puts a nice bead around the ball and keeps everything cleaner.
 
Back
Top Bottom