Riffled Choke Purpose

lfllmg

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just got a riffled choke, assuming it would be to shoot sabot slugs on a smoothbore barrel. But reading Beretta's description actually says "special internal rifling to maximize shot dispersion" This seems the exact opposite of what I wanted. Does anybody have experience with these? I shoot an A400 Xtreme+ and wanted to use it for big-game.

Thanks
 
A rifled choke is a type of choke that has a spiraled or rifled interior that helps to stabilize the slug in flight. A smooth bore choke is a type of choke that does not have a rifled interior. Rifled chokes are generally more accurate than smooth bore chokes for shooting rifled slugs.

So yes you are correct in that it is used to shoot out of smooth bore, the rifling is internal of the choke.
 
Shot dispersion as described by Beretta in this instance refers to the use of shot i.e. multiple projectile loads like bird shot or buck shot. There are certain applications where someone wants a wider spread at closer ranges in their shot pattern so your choke would work well for that. Your assumption that it is primarily for Saboted slugs is correct.
 
I've found they dont grab sabots to well and I got tumbling with the couple brands I tried. Hornady sst was one i can't recall the others.
With rifled slugs it tightened up the group a bit
Rifled chokes will really open a shot pattern up for close range shots
 
Quora (and other info sources) say : "Sabot slugs (which enclose a smaller bullet in a plastic sleeve) are engineered for fully rifled barrels. While some shooters test them in rifled chokes, accuracy is unpredictable and often inferior to a dedicated setup. "
ie - Not enuf to spin a sabot, or to pull it off.
 
Back
Top Bottom