Rifle Shell to pistol round conversion shells by Winchester

Yup, Chamber Adapters, was the name, I think. I don't specifically recall a .45 one; but I do have a .32ACP in .30-'06. And I remember .32ACP in virtually all the popular .30 cal chamberings, and 7.62x25 in the bigger ones.

A quick Googling leads me to MCA Sports, an Alaskan company, I'm pretty sure they made my adapter, I've had it for about 30 years, and I've probably fired it a couple hundred times. It still looked good the last time I saw it.
 
And now that I think about it... I believe there was a similar sort of thing that was Canadian-made. Called something like "Game Getter", perhaps? I think it used a shotshell primer to fire a bore-sized lead pellet.
Not exactly what the OP was talking about; but perhaps easier to obtain?
 
A guy on the forum here named Shotgun_Bob I think it is makes chamber adapters for 12 gauges, not sure if he makes other adapters, but he's in country and you could send him a message and see if he can help you out.
 
And now that I think about it... I believe there was a similar sort of thing that was Canadian-made. Called something like "Game Getter", perhaps? I think it used a shotshell primer to fire a bore-sized lead pellet.
Not exactly what the OP was talking about; but perhaps easier to obtain?

they use .22 ramset blanks
 
Yup, Chamber Adapters, was the name, I think. I don't specifically recall a .45 one; but I do have a .32ACP in .30-'06. And I remember .32ACP in virtually all the popular .30 cal chamberings, and 7.62x25 in the bigger ones.

A quick Googling leads me to MCA Sports, an Alaskan company, I'm pretty sure they made my adapter, I've had it for about 30 years, and I've probably fired it a couple hundred times. It still looked good the last time I saw it.

I have a .32 acp .303 a .45colt/.410 to .577-450 and I think I have a 7.62x25 to 7.62x54r that would explain the random crate of x25 I have
 
RE; 45 to 45-70 For a camber adapter to work the gun chamber needs to be somewhat larger than the adapted case. 45 and 45-70 are so close in case sidewall size that the adapter walls would be onion paper thin.
 
Theirs a odd one on gunbroker right now Auction # 463616906 to convert a 308 to 30/06 it looks a lot like a front piece of a 30/06
shell cut off.
probably quite rare I've never seen another one like it
 
Theirs a odd one on gunbroker right now Auction # 463616906 to convert a 308 to 30/06 it looks a lot like a front piece of a 30/06
shell cut off.
probably quite rare I've never seen another one like it

common enough mca makes them they also have one to convert .308 or .30-06 into 7.62x39 I think that's how some m1 Garand's were converted to .308
 
Thanks folks was just thinking of getting something to shoot a 45-70 with lighter loads and cheaper.

I have the old one made by Winchester. It is silver Nickle and has a Patent Pending Aug 22, 1899 design to be shot from a 32 Special and will shoot 32 short Colt. It would be great for grouse. It would be really neat for the 45-70 but I get what you are saying the chamber walls would be really thin on the 45-70 round.
 
Thanks folks was just thinking of getting something to shoot a 45-70 with lighter loads and cheaper.

I have the old one made by Winchester. It is silver Nickle and has a Patent Pending Aug 22, 1899 design to be shot from a 32 Special and will shoot 32 short Colt. It would be great for grouse. It would be really neat for the 45-70 but I get what you are saying the chamber walls would be really thin on the 45-70 round.

There is another kind of chamber adaptor besides the "chambered tube". They are steel and made to match the base end of the rifle's chamber. They have spring clips in the front that hold the pistol shell to the steel adaptor and have a firing pin down the center. To be able to use one, the pistol shell would have to fit and be supported by the neck area of the chamber. Think in terms of a 30-30 shell made of steel and which ends at the cartridge shoulder and a 32 auto shell located where the neck of a normal 30-30 shell has one.
In the photo below, one adaptor appears to be for a 303 and is gripping a 32 S&W shell, the second appears to be for a 30-30 and is gripping a 32 auto shell and the final adaptor appears to be chambered for a 22 short but I doubt could have been very accurate. The factory cartridge in the photo is a 32 special and for size comparison

cheers mooncoon

 
Last edited:
I have never fired them personally but I have fired somewhere in the distant past some sort of 32 pistol shell in a chamber liner in I think a 30-06. I also made and have shot a chamber liner / insert for a 45-70 cartridge shortened to about 1/2 length in a 450-577 chamber insert. Reason for the short shell was that if the shell ends in front of the shoulder of the insert and the insert is slightly loose in the neck area, the shell mouth and liner neck flare out with a full load and it makes the cartridge difficult to remove. I am also fairly sure that I saw some chamber inserts made that took a shotgun primer in the breach and a piece of buckshot in front of the primer and were intended to be shot from a 30 rifle

cheers mooncoon
 
Theirs a odd one on gunbroker right now Auction # 463616906 to convert a 308 to 30/06 it looks a lot like a front piece of a 30/06
shell cut off.
probably quite rare I've never seen another one like it

IIRC these were developed by the US Navy to 'convert' all those hardly used 30-06 M1 Garands sitting in warship small arms lockers to caliber 7.62 NATO. Sounds great at first but in actual practice they were a failure.
Rifle eventually heats up and the threadlocking compound dribbles away, then the loosened adapter jams rifle on the next subsequent shot.
 
Back
Top Bottom