Rimfire Match Ammo

Gerald

CGN Regular
Rating - 99.6%
234   1   0
Location
Ontario
I have a Walther Rifle that shoots very well with some types of bulk ammo however I would like to see what happens if I feed it some match ammo. Are all brands of match ammo created equal or are some better than others?
 
Well there aren't that many and your probably going to have to go through a few different ones before you find one that your rifle really likes.
Eley and Lapua are the most common and easy to find.
 
match ammo shoots better , but some lots are better than others in a given rifle. if you find ammo that shoots very well, buy more of that lot #.

What Ganderite said!! 22 rimfires tend to be quite fussy about ammo if you are trying to wring the most out of them. If you have one with a tuner on it, then you can get most match ammo to do very well, but tuners are not common items. Regards, Eagleye.
 
I have a Walther Rifle that shoots very well with some types of bulk ammo however I would like to see what happens if I feed it some match ammo. Are all brands of match ammo created equal or are some better than others?

gerald
Try shooting some standard velocity ammo first, like CCI subsonic hollow point, or the Rem or Win subsonic products. These are all around 1050 FPS and some fellows have very good things to say about there accuracy. Win target is another product that shoots well for some folks, but not priced like Eley or Lapua. FS
 
don't forget about federal 719. also very accurate. pick up a box of each and try them. i think 719 shoots about 1200, and 719b 1080 fps. muzzle.
 
If you want to get an idea of what types of target ammo is available, look through this website.

targetshootingproducts.com
 
Two weeks ago I met with world sales manager and person who organizes testing for Lapua GmbH and SK Jagd, Germany. They confirmed that we are the exclusive distributor for their products in Canada, starting now. They commented that only Eley is serious competition.

An interesting observation is that lower-priced SK Standard Plus shoots very well in most rifles, but as mentioned, evaluation by testing is the only method of achieving top results.

They just came from Olymics where over 90% of .22 shot by biathletes was Lapua. Also, our national .22 team has just made arrangements for testing of their rifles in Germany.

The question was on match ammo, not plinking ammo.

Regards,

Peter
 
Both of my semi 22s get better grouping with 36 grain HP mini-mags and American Eagle 38 grain HP, than Elly or Rem. Target! How is that possible?
 
Home3, proof is in the pudding, but I'd wager a more extensive test involving a wider range of match ammo would find better grouping than with Am. Eagle.

The Germans stressed extensive testing.

Regards,

Peter
 
Peter, you might be right. I would try Lapua if I could get my hands on it in T.O.

I was very disapointed with Elly and Rem. Target as one of my 22s, T/C R-55 Bench is ment and equipted for Target shooting. Do you know who carries Lapua ammo in S. Ontario?
 
.22 Target Ammo

Stay away from Winchester T-22!!!!!! Quality control has disappeared over the last two or three years while the price has gone up by about 60%. Kayceel
 
An interesting observation is that lower-priced SK Standard Plus shoots very well in most rifles, but as mentioned, evaluation by testing is the only method of achieving top results.

My Cooper shoots the SK Standard Plus sub 1/2" at 50 yards for five shot groups.I have 5000 on order from Peter.
 
For match ammo to try, add RWS R-50, and some of the Fed. premiums, and if you can get ahold of the Win. target ammo made in Australia......this in addition to the Wolf, Eley, and Lapua ammo.
 
I can tell you that I saw a chart recently showing the top 100 competitors of benchrest rimfire in the USA and which rifles, ammo, rests etc. that they use. By far the best of the best use the Eley ammunition. There are a few which use Lapua but very few! Consistency is the most important factor here. The top Eley ammo, I believe, is going at $20.00 per box of fifty or higher. I use Lapua "Club" @ $5.00 per box.
 
I have extensively tested .22 ammo in many hi end rifles, RWS Eley etc.

The bottom line - expensive ammo - Eley shoots best
- cheap ammo - Lapua shoots best

Lapua super club has put 5 rounds into a single .24 caliber hole at 100 yds., and similar results in my BSA Martini ISU 's, Anschutz's, and Walthers.

For the price - Lapua cant be beat.
swingerlh.gif
 
You'll have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. Just like you do with non-match ammo.
T-22 ammo has always been sporadic.
 
Back
Top Bottom