Rolling Block Barrels in Canada?

tactical870

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
136   0   0
Just picked up a real nice remington 1867 in 16 gauge and I'm thinking it will make a nice conversion to a 45-70 or 50-70. Anyone in Canada have barrels in stock for these? I suppose an unthreaded blank would do as well. Thanks
 
I think you would be wise to think in terms of buying a rifled blank and then threading, chambering and contouring it. You also want to avoid cold rolled barrels ie barrels which have been run through powerful rollers to make them octagon or round because the processs leaves them with a lot of stresses in the surface. If you were to then contour the outside, there is a high probability of warping. Barrels which have been milled or turned to shape are much less prone to such problems

cheers mooncoon
 
Be cautious with R.B. actions that have been converted to shotguns.
Warn block pins and worn holes through the blocks may well mean a major restoration to make it a shooter.
It is not so critical in a shotgun but in a brass case a block that has some give or does not stay perpendicular to the bore when you fire it can cause uneven stretching of the brass.
Uneven case stretch is easy to check on a R.B. as you can fire a cartridge, then chamber the fired cartridge 180 degrees from the position it was fired in and close the block. If the hammer binds on the block in the last few millimeters there may be a problem.
 
Be cautious with R.B. actions that have been converted to shotguns.
Warn block pins and worn holes through the blocks may well mean a major restoration to make it a shooter.
It is not so critical in a shotgun but in a brass case a block that has some give or does not stay perpendicular to the bore when you fire it can cause uneven stretching of the brass.
Uneven case stretch is easy to check on a R.B. as you can fire a cartridge, then chamber the fired cartridge 180 degrees from the position it was fired in and close the block. If the hammer binds on the block in the last few millimeters there may be a problem.

I had a good look at this one. It's reasonably tight considering it's age and I know for a fact it has not been fired in a long long time so I doubt it's seen a lot of hot modern loads. I'll strip it down soon and have a good look inside...
 
Contact Ron Smith, barrel maker in Wimbourne, Alberta. He rebarrels quite a few BP cartridge rifles and may have a 45 cal barrel in stock. He can also fit and chamber it for you, if you prefer. I've seen his barrels on some very accurate rifles.
 
rolling block barrels

remington made a sizeable number of these as fowlers-if it has the shotgun groove along top the receiver that identifies it as such rather than a conversion. in this case perhaps lining the barrel might work better? just a thought. rgds
 
This one is a factory remington shotgun with the receiver groove. I considered lining the barrel however the bore liners I found are typically .500 inch and undersized to the bore I'd need to sleeve.
 
Back
Top Bottom