Rolling block lever conversion

Oddbawl

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Location
Beyond
Does anybody have a Rolling Block that's had the block converted to a lever opening style like this?

Side$20Lever$20Roller$20001$20for$20forum.jpg


I'd love to see some detailed pics, I'm seriously considering doing one. I assume the block pin is keyed to the block or something, sure would like to see...
 
Last edited:
Do you think that would interfere with hand placement?

I agree it look cool and I have an RB that I am going to convert something else. 38-55 or 30/30 or .303.
 
I have seen photos of guns that were modified in the 1800s like that. Can't remember who did them. To tbrwlf, 38-56 is a nice choice to change to. It is a 45-70 shell necked down and holds a lot more powder than the 38-55. Also use a faster twist barrel so that you can use 300 grains bullets

cheers mooncoon
 
Do you think that would interfere with hand placement?

I agree it look cool and I have an RB that I am going to convert something else. 38-55 or 30/30 or .303.

Not a whole lot if you're a lefty... you'd likely get very positive extraction and it's pretty swell lookin'. I'd suffer for fashion in this case.
Arizona Sharpshooters sells a kit, but it's $400 for something I can machine myself, I just wanted to see one to eliminate trial and error.
 
As a lefty I love the look of that, If the throw was short enough to accomplish easily with your thumb it would be the bee's knees, anything that keeps your hand on the grip instead of traveling through space is a good mod. 38-56 with 300 grain bullet sure sounds like a useful cartridge. Oddbawl build it play with it for a few years and I'll watch for it on the EE.
 
I would suspect that with just a straight attachment to the block like shown here, the lever throw wouldn't be thumbable unless you had Herman Munster hands. Methinks time will tell, I'm going to do it. There appears to be two ways that it can be done. Keying the pin to the block as I suspected, and drilling and running a screw through both.
The lever is another issue. I'll keep my eyes open for something I can adapt, if anything comes to mind, please let me know...
 
The fellow down in the States who was making them has passed away.

I looked into it a few months back and the only gunsmith doing them (that I could uncover ymmv) was sourcing his parts from the deceased. He wasnt able to steer me in a more fruitful direction either.

The examples I found acually had a new block pin with a small square protrusion coming out of the right side, the lever slotted on to that.

Id sure be interested if anyone gets something like this on the go.
 
the lever throw wouldn't be thumbable unless you had Herman Munster hands

build it so it is thumable or you loose the functionality of the conversion. one hand never leaves the rifle, one hand loads. might give some thought to a stock design that compliments the new lever. you can install a bullet trap in it as well.
As a lefty if it aint thumable you might as well leave the original lever. Or am I missing some other advantage (aside from when your prone)?
 
build it so it is thumable or you loose the functionality of the conversion. one hand never leaves the rifle, one hand loads. might give some thought to a stock design that compliments the new lever. you can install a bullet trap in it as well.
As a lefty if it aint thumable you might as well leave the original lever. Or am I missing some other advantage (aside from when your prone)?

Stronger extraction appears to be the advantage, though, of course have to take their word for it. I have had sticky shells in the past, though nothing really serious. It would take some experimenting for sure, maybe it can bve done, but just by the nature of it, you're increasing the radius like that, it may be tough. Prone would be nice, but I think even off of a rest or shooting sticks, operating the lever on the side, closer to the centerline with your right hand would be a little less akward than the top. In my mind's warped eye, it may be nicer rotating the lever with your right hand away from you down low, rather than towards you in your line of sight. Maybe not. Again it would be personal preference.
I've read on a few boards of guys coming up with levers and cam mechanisms that #### the hammer at close to the same time as opening the block; now that would be dandy. Much more involved than I aim to get.

The fellow down in the States who was making them has passed away.

I looked into it a few months back and the only gunsmith doing them (that I could uncover ymmv) was sourcing his parts from the deceased. He wasnt able to steer me in a more fruitful direction either.

The examples I found acually had a new block pin with a small square protrusion coming out of the right side, the lever slotted on to that.

Id sure be interested if anyone gets something like this on the go.

Are you referring to the fellow at Lone Star? Yes, he was killed in a shooting accident. Arizona Sharpshooters has a kit, but it ain't worth $400 for a "see how it works"

I had a look and I think a Dixie Gun works generic 2" throw percussion hammer or the like would be a good place to start for a lever, some even have the square shank cast in to them. Either hammer out or, weld on to lengthen the tang and away you go.
Turning a pin with a corresponing square and countersunk for a set screw, then the only issue is securing it to a block- a key or what have you. I think it's worth a try as the parts are just drop in. No reciever mods etc. If it doesn't work out, it's put back as easily as taking it down for a good cleaning. Eyes peeled for a block, don't wanna lunch the original...
 
Back
Top Bottom