Rolling Block pistol conversion?

Barnaby

Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Howdy everybody, I was considering buying a rolling block rifle in 8x58r in rougher shape, and possibly converting it to a pistol. My question was that seeing as in this calibre the rifle would be non restricted, if I was to cut it down to pistol size, would it become antique status? I figure it would since the cartridge isn't on the no-go pistol list, or converted from one that was. I figured that I would just get some input for this possible project.
 
Howdy everybody, I was considering buying a rolling block rifle in 8x58r in rougher shape, and possibly converting it to a pistol. My question was that seeing as in this calibre the rifle would be non restricted, if I was to cut it down to pistol size, would it become antique status? I figure it would since the cartridge isn't on the no-go pistol list, or converted from one that was. I figured that I would just get some input for this possible project.

Its a non restricted in its current form.........................and those receivers went through some factory rebuilding/alteration that the 12.7 mms did not, some of which will be passed 1897 and will be marked on the receiver/barrel shank. The rifle bore is also a 8mm/32, so it wont fly.

Those antique rolling block pistols pop up in the US from time to time with no headaches.
 
Last edited:
wouldnt that hurt like a sunovagun to have to shoot a pistol in that sort of caliber?
And if the rifle in question was a legal antique, it wouldnt matter how short it was cut down.
 
The rolling blocks in 8mm are ALL considered NON antiques here, that is their legal status. Regardless of which side of the rifle-to-pistol argument you come down on, it would definitely not be an antique. Remember that the calibre list for antique rifles is 8.3 or larger, which excludes the 8x56r from the rb. Besides all this, the conversion you are talking about is a substantial one, as the tang needs to be bent to pistol shape, which totally changes the mainspring, becoming a real headache. I personally would love one, but would rather the 12.7 version that is an antique to begin with.
 
This would be a very heavy awkward arm.
The genuine RB pistols were built on a frame about 3/4 the size of the No1 rifle action.
 
Fair enough, thanks for the input all. Guess I'll stick to the 12.7 for planning purposes. The difficulties with changing it to the pistol grip probably be a pain, but I don't mind some elbow grease. Maybe it would be unfeasible, and unwieldy. It was more of a shower thought than anything.
 
If you rebarreled it to say 45 Colt, you could register it as a home made restricted gun. Unless I am mistaken, the rifle sized rolling blocks are significantly larger than the original rolling block pistols.

cheers mooncoon
 
Or find a parent case that isn't on the no-go list.
I've an papered antique that has no caliber listed; but it works fine with shortened 444 Marlin cases. Got to #### around a bit thinning the mouth but the rifle cases have stronger bases that can handle more pressure.
 
Back
Top Bottom