Rolling block project ideas - looking for guidance

I'd be with Mooncoon - a 32-40 or 38-55 would be more in keeping with history, and a 32-40 won the plain based bullet and grand championship at the Cast Bullet Association nationals in 2015. Very light recoil I would think. The big rolling block enjoyed a well deserved reputation for accuracy. I have one(just like in Tradeex) rebarrelled to 45-70, restocked, and with good peep sights. It has given me four consecutive five shot groups at 100yds that averaged under 1". I'd suggest a longer barrel for better appearance and better balance. Some weight is helpful. The sporters at tradeex weigh about 8.5 lb. which really isn't very heavy, and have a 34" barrel.
Grouch
 
Last edited:
Thought about 32-20? antique and light recoil. .38 colt is period correct and holds less powder than the other .38 .

Starline brass is available for .32-20 as well. And as I recall it was a proper rifle round in its day to boot if that matters at all.

If money isn't an object keep in mind that there's other options for a rifle to be handed down through the generations. Things like Winchester low walls and Stevens 44 1/2's come to mind. There's even a fellow in the US making replica Steven's 44 1/2's which are expensive but superb quality. (search for CPA rifles) So if cost is not a major concern that might be something worth looking at. You'd need to use someone like IRunGuns to get it into the country but that's pretty minor for a classy firearm such as this would be.
 
Can anyone recommend any gunsmiths who do work on rolling blocks? Preferably someone who has a good variety of reamers.

One I plan to send to Ron Smith for one of his barrels but I already have a barrel for another one.
I've heard of Mike Magee in Saskatchewan but can't find if he's still in business. Any others?
 
Mike Magee has passed away.

Can anyone recommend any gunsmiths who do work on rolling blocks? Preferably someone who has a good variety of reamers.

One I plan to send to Ron Smith for one of his barrels but I already have a barrel for another one.
I've heard of Mike Magee in Saskatchewan but can't find if he's still in business. Any others?
 
Back
Top Bottom