Rolling blocks-old or new?

ratherbefishin

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I just broke the block on my very nice Husqvarna #4 chambered in .22 short-because I fired a regular .22 short.It fired the CB shorts without any issue-but modern loads-even in a .22 short were too much for it.

The reason for the question-old or new?-is I like the Swedish 8x58r models-but now am wondering if I'm not better looking for a new RB made with modern steel than trying to shoot the old ones-even with the modest loads[under 28,000 psi]Its one thing to have a 22 action fail-quite another for a bigger rifle'
 
The 8x58 rifles are pretty safe, as the block and hammer were made from steel. Still, the rest of the action is still iron. The older Swede RB's are all iron. Of course, a modern RB will be made out of real steel, so it would be safer. FWIW, I don't think the Husqvarna RB's were built as good as the Carl Gustaf and Stockholm built rifles. The chambers seem to vary more on the Husqvarna rifles, and they're more likely to have the sights slanting to one side.

Also, I would assume that the .22 RB would be built more cheaply than the bigger rifles, as most .22's were back then. Look at all the old Crackshots, Favourites, and Little Krags that are totally worn out from standard velocity .22's.
 
My buck says that the block had issues long before you came along and loaded it with whichever ammo you used. There would be broken RB's all over the place if they were weak.

I think you got a dud. Not representative of the full story.

Post some good clear pictures of the broken faces of the breech block parts.

Cheers
Trev
 
I'll see if I can post pictures-but the break clearly shows the metal chrystalized,and I do have to remember this is over 100 years old.The break was right on the pivot point where the metal was thinest.This is a #4-very petite,not like the robust heavily built ex-military RB's
I really like the little rifle-I'm wondering whats the best way to put it back in service-look for an original replacement part,buy a parts gun, have a replacement part made-or try to find a stock replacement part for a modern RB.
 
Back
Top Bottom