Willy Tincup
CGN frequent flyer
- Location
- Owen Sound
Ssooo; I recently acquired an English [Cogswell and Harrison] rook rifle in 300 rook. The nice thing about that is that it will shoot the .32 short or long colt. Has a nice bore and the action appears to work fine. It is a side lever [pushes to the right] to #### the internal hammer and break it open. Believe it was made prior to 1880 and has both the Strand and Bond St addy's stamped on top of the flattened top of the round barrel....So far so good.
Now the bad news. This neat old rifle has no wood.....none, and no sights although the shallow dovetails are on the barrel for both a front and a rear. Getting sights for it isn't a big deal. Not quite the same story for the wood: 2 piece wood at that.
I'n not sure if it originally wore a straight stocked butt or a pistol grip style. I prefer the straight stocked ones but the lower tang is shaped for a pistol grip stock but I 'think' it has been bent into that shape and is not original.....but not positive.
So, now what are my realistic choices in regards to life support for this ole gal? I have to think that finding any original wood for it is unrealistic.
1-Have some one make up a butt stock and fore arm for it. My first choice if affordable. Has both a top and bottom tang to be fitted.
2-Sell it to someone who has the talent to rebuild it.
3-Sell it for parts
4-Do nothing and let it collect dust. Don' t like that idea.
Any retired wood workers and or stockmakers who might be interested in the challenge?
Ideas and constructive comments are welcome.
Cheers and Merry Christmas to all.........................wTc
Now the bad news. This neat old rifle has no wood.....none, and no sights although the shallow dovetails are on the barrel for both a front and a rear. Getting sights for it isn't a big deal. Not quite the same story for the wood: 2 piece wood at that.
I'n not sure if it originally wore a straight stocked butt or a pistol grip style. I prefer the straight stocked ones but the lower tang is shaped for a pistol grip stock but I 'think' it has been bent into that shape and is not original.....but not positive.
So, now what are my realistic choices in regards to life support for this ole gal? I have to think that finding any original wood for it is unrealistic.
1-Have some one make up a butt stock and fore arm for it. My first choice if affordable. Has both a top and bottom tang to be fitted.
2-Sell it to someone who has the talent to rebuild it.
3-Sell it for parts
4-Do nothing and let it collect dust. Don' t like that idea.
Any retired wood workers and or stockmakers who might be interested in the challenge?
Ideas and constructive comments are welcome.
Cheers and Merry Christmas to all.........................wTc


















































