Rook Rifle Project

mooncoon

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Location
Vancouver Island
Some photos of a rook rifle project that I challenged myself with. The chamber of the gun and next inch of the bore had been destroyed and I decided to move the lumps forward and rechamber. The lump in this case is two pieces; one for the pivot point and one for the locking lug and extractor.

rookrifleb.jpg


I decided to make a new front lump and silver solder it to the barrel, using the existing lumps as a reference to keep everything in line. The original pieces appear to have been silver soldered in place as well.

Lintonrookriflefrontlumptouchupb.jpg


Lintonrookriflefrontlumpmovedb.jpg


Lintonrookriflesolderingjigb.jpg


Lintonrookriflelumpmovedb.jpg


Hopefully the above photos give some idea of the method. I clamped a piece of flat bar to the original lumps and then clamped the replacement front lump to the bar. That more or less insures that the front lump is correctly in line. With the front lump in place, I cut the back one off and moved it forward the same way, this time using the new front lump and the old front lump as references. Finally I cut the old front lump off plus the damaged chamber area and stuck everything back in the gun.

2RookRiflesLReceiverb.jpg


The bottom gun is a closup of the receive being repaired. I still have to rust the barrel and eliminate the shiny patch.

I had a couple of surprises; both the gun repaired and the second rook rifle in the last photo were supposedly 380 rook rifles or 380 CF as stamped on the top rifle. The groove diameter was actually .370.
The second surprise was that I used Green Dot (fast smokeless) to check the sights and it grouped very poorly at 25 yards. When I switched to cartridge grade black the groups improved dramatically. I think the gun will shoot better yet when I replace the front sight because I think at least some of the problem is sighting combined with my eyes. The target pictured was shot twice with a 6 o clock hold at 25 yards and I flipped the box over after the first 5 shots.

rookrifletargetb.jpg


cheers mooncoon
 
rook rifle

Mooncoon

Beautiful little rifle! Great work to restore an old gun back to usefulness.

I always wanted a rook rifle, especially when the M-H were as common as dirt.
Now they're worth their weight in gold!

Bought a rifle (allegedly for my wife ...) that comes close. A Uberti Rolling Block rifle with 26" tapered octagonal barrel in .357 mag. Gotta be one of the most pleasing little rifles to shoot ever!
I used it as a model when I cut down my .43 Spanish RB to get the proportions right. It worked, and I love it.

BPCN runs articles on rook rifle matches occasionally. I wish more guys had them to shoot in matches.
 
I think the Uberti has the advantage of being much easier to load for. Both of these use a .370 bullet and I was lucky that I happened to have a pistol mold at .375 which forms itself into the bore. Both guns seem to be fairly fussy about having the slug close to the rifling and both seem to require running a brush down the barrel after each shot.

The cases are 38 special shells expanded out to accept the slugs and the lower gun, the one that I moved the breach, is chambered so that it will accept the shells without trimming. The other gun still has the original chamber and I have to shorten the 38 special shells by about .1"
they are going to take some more fiddling with to get the loads correct but at least the end is in sight.

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom