Ross 280

Liptugger

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Hi, I have inherited a Ross 280 sporter, it was my Godfathers go to hunting rifle. Have taken it out and shot a few rounds though it and really like it, problem is I can't find any ammo for it. All anyone is offering so far is 280 rem that are shorter and narrower thatn the rounds I need. The ammo I am shooting was bought in 1958.
Anyone have any sugestions on where to access ammo, I can't have the only Ross 280. Also should mention that I am on Vancouver Island.

Thanks for your responses,
Randy
 
I hate to tell you that nobody is currently making 280 Ross rounds anymore. ! have 2 of them and have been looking around since I inherited mine 15 years ago. If you search on here there are some threads on how to reload using different brass. Good luck.
 
.280 Ross is a long-obsolete sporting round that is no longer available. It was truly the first 7mm magnum. Cases and bullets are a little hard to find (the .280 uses .287" bullets rather than the .284" bullets in every other 7mm), but they are available. .284" bullets might work, but it's hard to say.

The hard question is, do you have any reloading dies for the .280? If not, you're going to have to fork over some serious $$$ to have a custom set of RCBS or Lee dies made.

Hold on to your loaded ammo, it's pretty rare.
 
I have 4 boxes of 280 Ross that I was hanging on to for another fellow, but he never paid me for them. These are the Kynoch loaded ammo 10 rounds in a box. The last one of these I saw for sale, the fellow wanted $75.00. If you are interested in mine I will tell you that it will higher than $3.00 per round plus shipping, but less than $7.50 per round.FS
 
Green, the .280 Ross is Semi-rimmed (even though it's known as the .280 Rimless Nitro Express), so I don't think the .375 Ruger would work...

.280%20Ross1.gif


Versus...
.375%20Ruger1.gif


I'm glad to hear CH offers dies though. I would take Fassteel's offer... that's the best I've seen for a while.
 
Last edited:
Randy
I have 5 boxes of Kynoch .280 brass 10 to the box and a tin of Berdan primers for them that looks to have about 200 primers in it .I'm in Powell river and my wife is coming down your way next Sunday.
Pm me if you are interested
Bruce
 
These guys, Stateside, carry Horneber brass. Custom order stuff. $52.99US per 20 plus a fee($50US at the moment) for the exporting. Usual U.S. export permit required.
http://www.custombrassandbullets.com/horneberbrass.html
Dies and bullets will be an issue though. RCBS makes 'em as a $pecial order. Buffalo Arms carries .287" bullets and brass. Same permits required, if they'll do it. Uses an RCBS #13 shell holder.
Cartridge Conversions might have some info about making it. Rumour has it that .280 Ross brass can be made out of .348 Winchester.
 
This is off topic, but I have a Ross that was rebarrelled as a 7 mm Rem Mag. It is marvelous. I just barely was able to resist the temptation to buy a 280.
 
I shoot quite a few and have a good supply of Kynoch ammo, made in the '60s.
Some batches use the .284" bullet and may not shoot well (bullet thumbling) in worn rifles.
I have reloaded turned down .300 RUM and belted magnum cases in the past, but the fisrt are complecated if you don't have a lathe and the second produces a big bulge in front of the belt, wich is not pretty at all. The best case for reforming IS the new line of Ruger Compact Magnum cases.
CH4D makes dies for it and it's somewhat affordable..

As for bullets, I use Woodleigh, Buffalo (no more availlable) and Hawk bullets in .287'. You still can try regular .287" bullets but they don't shoot well in many .280's

NOTE: The Imperial dimension of the base on the drawing posted before showing a base diameter of of 0.549" IS WRONG for the .280 Ross Nitro-Express (wich is a CIP-regulated cartridge) instead it should read 13.59mm wich is, in fact 0.535". Base of Kynoch factory ammunition usually run close from 0.529" or 0,530", depending on year of production.
 
Last edited:
hi randy, i just joined yesterday and noticed your 280 problem. back in the late '60's or early '70's my buddy had a sporterized 280 ross and had the same problem finding the components to load this cartridge.he went to a gunsmithing firm in toronto called holman and hickey (dont think they exist now) and had a "bullet bumper " made for him. this gadget with the turn of a srew resized the bullet from 7mm(284) to the required dia. of287 without compromizing the bullet shape too much.we shot this rifle frequently with no ill effects .anyway,don't know if you're a handloader,but thougt i would pass the info along.gerry
 
Back
Top Bottom