Rough estimate of value on an older marlin

Major Sights

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Location
Westlock, AB
So I have an older marlin 1894 ( this site tells me it's from 1903, h ttp://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php), and it's in good to fair condition (though it desperately needs a cleaning.) shiny bore which would be better once it's cleaned. Does any one have a rough estimate of what it may be worth? No we are not intending to sell, ad it's a family heirloom now.
 
Caliber is a standard starting point friend. And while Marlins don't command the $$$ that Winchesters do, be careful with the cleaning. If you are too aggressive it may lower the value actually..
Pictures are a huge help. We can tell if it's orginal or dycked with that way.
Just saying
 
oops sorry, caliber is 44-40, These are the only photos I have currently, but there is some mild pitting and very light rusting (can almost rub it off). But very dirty, (been sitting for almost 20 years)

[/URL=http://s477.photobucket.com/user/Majorsights/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160204_182955_01_zpsxzgc8mhh.jpg.html]
IMG_20160204_182955_01_zpsxzgc8mhh.jpg
[/URL]
 
Looks like a nice specimen. The barrel, mag tube and bands can be gently cleaned with bronze wool and light oil to remove grime and light rust. I would clean the action, hammer and lever with just an oily rag as they were factory colour case hardened at that time and any rubbing with even mildly abrasive bronze wool will remove any remaining colour pretty fast. I usually wipe the wood down with a turpentine soaked rag to remove accumulated grime. It can be amazing to see how much better the wood looks when clean. Value should be at least $1000 maybe considerably higher to a Marlin guy. Saddle ring carbines are scarce in good condition as they were so light and handy that they got a lot of use.
 
I very much doubt that this rifle has been refinished. As it was my grandfather who owned it, and it hasn't seen the light of day in 30+ years, and he wasn't a hunter, he was given the rifle years 50+ years ago by a customer who stated that their Grandfather "used it to shoot natives", which I very much doubt.... being from 1903. Once I can get back to where it is stored I will take better pictures of it and the markings.


I do know right on top of the action/receiver it says "Marlin Safety", and the only safety on that firearm is the half ####. It has a open sights, but also has a flip up "target" style sight bar that goes from 1-9.
 
I think the "Marlin Safety" marking referred to the side ejection design and not so much the half #### safety which was pretty much universal in lever hammer guns produced at the time
 
Somewhere in the Brophy bible there is a reference to the Marlin Safety stamp, saying it refers to the change to action steel more suited for the new smokeless powder. The Barrels have a similar stamp as well
 
I think the "Marlin Safety" marking referred to the side ejection design and not so much the half #### safety which was pretty much universal in lever hammer guns produced at the time

A lot of the older Marlins don't have half #### safety. I have a marlin 1894 in 25-20 win and there is no half ####. Yes I' have it apart right now as I'm looking for a replacement firing pin. Since the tip broke off. There has been no tampering with the hammer. Now I'm not saying all Marlins don't have half #### safety , but mine does not have it. It is from very early 1900s
 
Back
Top Bottom