Ruger No 1 hunters

Oddly enough, I was just going to say… I was looking at these in 458 Lott earlier today…. Oh they sure do recoil, but I think a single shot big bore would be pretty neat. The 9.3x62 suggestion up top is also a great/unique choice. I’m looking at them a bit more.

If it’s a Canada rifle, something 300 class, 35 Wheel, or a 45/70 would be pretty neat.
 
I owned one in 450-400ne. Grizzly hunting was still legal at the time. Was the rifle cool and beautiful, yes. But that’s all it was. Without a guide with a repeater as back up the big bores no1 are kinda dumb.

Find a manlicher stocked one in a classic chambering between 9.3 and 257 that tickles your fancy.
 
I have owned well over 100 Ruger No.1 rifles, I love the platform, the ergonomics fit me perfectly and styling are very pleasing to my eye... if I could only own one it would probably be chambered in 7X57... but rimmed cartridges are great in it too. Depends a bit on how and what you hunt... a .303 Brit covers a lot of ground. If you are a timber hunter, a .45/70 is nice (with the 22" "C" barrel profile)... pick your poison, hard to go wrong.
 
For what its worth:

I was searching for the same thing. Something heirloom quality, but also practical. The no1 seemed to fit the bill.

Early this year Ruger announced their No1RSI for the year in 9.3x62. I began the hunt for one.

Yesterday after a few months of waiting mine finally arrived. This rifle has some of the nicest walnut ive seen on a "factory" rifle. I will report back in a few hours after Ive been to the range with it. For now I will run it with iron sights only. But likely it will get a 1-6 power Accupoint or 1-5 VX5 down the road.
Update:

Well not great news. The rifle will chamber a round no problem and eject an unfired round no problem. But fired round will extract about 1/4" out of the chamber and then get stuck. After a light tap from my stuck case rod the case pops out, you can see on the case where there is a very small burr in the chamber that catches the case when it fires. Suggestions? Hit it with 1000 grit emery paper?
 
I’ve had a few, as well as other single shots. They please the eye and most shoot well. I now have 1#1 in 22 hornet and 3#3s in hornet,223,&45-70. Hunting with a single does make you think about your shot, not a bad thing.
 
I've owned a Ruger #1A in .270 Winchester and a #1S in .45-70. Both were beautiful rifles that handled well in the field and got the job done many times. Accuracy in mine was acceptable for field use. The .270 would shoot 3 shots into 2.0" while the .45-70 kept 3 within 2.5" but more importantly always shot point of aim from a cold barrel.

The #1 however is not perfect. My biggest issue is a scope base so far forward that extension rings and long eye relief are required. If you look at almost any picture of a Ruger #1 you'll see the scope moved back as far as possible. I also found the factory trigger was meh and disassembly/reassembly was a bit more complicated than with bolt actions.

I did like the discipline required when hunting with a single shot but wasn't in love with either of my Ruger #1s and they eventually went to new owners.
 
I've owned a Ruger #1A in .270 Winchester and a #1S in .45-70. Both were beautiful rifles that handled well in the field and got the job done many times. Accuracy in mine was acceptable for field use. The .270 would shoot 3 shots into 2.0" while the .45-70 kept 3 within 2.5" but more importantly always shot point of aim from a cold barrel.

The #1 however is not perfect. My biggest issue is a scope base so far forward that extension rings and long eye relief are required. If you look at almost any picture of a Ruger #1 you'll see the scope moved back as far as possible. I also found the factory trigger was meh and disassembly/reassembly was a bit more complicated than with bolt actions.

I did like the discipline required when hunting with a single shot but wasn't in love with either of my Ruger #1s and they eventually went to new owners.
Had the same problem with my scope.. EGW makes a nice pic rail that bolt into the existing holes in the reciever.
Slick set up now, with the scope closer to my cheek welded
 
Oddly enough, I was just going to say… I was looking at these in 458 Lott earlier today…. Oh they sure do recoil, but I think a single shot big bore would be pretty neat. The 9.3x62 suggestion up top is also a great/unique choice. I’m looking at them a bit more.

If it’s a Canada rifle, something 300 class, 35 Wheel, or a 45/70 would be pretty neat.
300h&h would be classy
 
Just curious if one of you gentlemen can tell me which range of serial numbers for the Ruger #1, had the less than desirable barrels - and when did they start getting good/better barrels. I have a No. 1 in 25-06 with a serial number of 133-036XX. Thank you.
 
Absolutely strive for 1 shot DRT using whatever. No.1 against a threat intent on hurting you? No quick repeat fire safety net so just takes a bit more skill with your single shot. 😉
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom