I started a few years back with a single shot 444 in the CVA, and quickly got fond of the novelty.
I then ran into a new 450BM and scooped it up. Was a great score, black laminate, stainless version with 20” barrel.
Played with it a bunch at the range, and quickly decided to move the 444 along, as the Ruger was just sooo classic, short and perfect for elk, moose hunting that I wanted it for. I played with the loads and was able to make 3 shot groups touching at 100 m with some shimming of the fore end, and load development. The shims helped out considerably.
Used it successfully to take an elk and a few moose out to 245m with perfect performance. Perfect ballistics that I practiced out to 400m, for my max range.
I also practiced to shoot consecutive shots quickly with it before season, and on my first elk I put that practice to use. Mounted a cheap elastic ammo sleeve on the stock, filled the safety down a bit so the ejected brass does not hang up, and went hunting.
My elk came to within 30 m, and I plugged my 1st round through him, and he turned and ran back the way he came. A quick reload, a bark at the elk, and he stopped in his tracks at about 80m, so I hit him with a 2nd round, and reloaded quickly as he turned to the bush. I ran up the bank a bit, and plugged him with a 3rd round, and that anchored him, as it went through his femur. He dropped and soon expired. 1st 2 shots were lung, with the first as a full pass thru, and second found on off shoulder under the hide. 3rd was found in his groin area after passing through his rear quarter, demolishing his femur.
All that to say I don’t get when guys say you can’t let them fly with consecutive rounds on a single shot. Would the 1shot have killed him, more than positive. The second and third anchored him from getting too far. I had about 10min of daylight, and about 200 m away was a 300 m drop into a draw they seek cover in, and I had no intentions of letting him get there. A solo hunt, that would have been a nightmare of a retrieve.
I went back to a bolt action this year, as I built a 45 Raptor. Basically a 450 BM ai. My elk this year took one round through the lungs and the heart. No way to get a second round into him even with the bolt action, which realistically is only seconds shorter to reload than a Ruger no1. Heart had a 1”+ hole out the back side, so to say he was leaking is an understatement.
I do believe with some work you can get the no 1’s shooting accurately.
For the useless Ruger base, get the EWG rails for them, and mount the scope in normal rings where you require it to be. Real easy fix!
I then ran into a new 450BM and scooped it up. Was a great score, black laminate, stainless version with 20” barrel.
Played with it a bunch at the range, and quickly decided to move the 444 along, as the Ruger was just sooo classic, short and perfect for elk, moose hunting that I wanted it for. I played with the loads and was able to make 3 shot groups touching at 100 m with some shimming of the fore end, and load development. The shims helped out considerably.
Used it successfully to take an elk and a few moose out to 245m with perfect performance. Perfect ballistics that I practiced out to 400m, for my max range.
I also practiced to shoot consecutive shots quickly with it before season, and on my first elk I put that practice to use. Mounted a cheap elastic ammo sleeve on the stock, filled the safety down a bit so the ejected brass does not hang up, and went hunting.
My elk came to within 30 m, and I plugged my 1st round through him, and he turned and ran back the way he came. A quick reload, a bark at the elk, and he stopped in his tracks at about 80m, so I hit him with a 2nd round, and reloaded quickly as he turned to the bush. I ran up the bank a bit, and plugged him with a 3rd round, and that anchored him, as it went through his femur. He dropped and soon expired. 1st 2 shots were lung, with the first as a full pass thru, and second found on off shoulder under the hide. 3rd was found in his groin area after passing through his rear quarter, demolishing his femur.
All that to say I don’t get when guys say you can’t let them fly with consecutive rounds on a single shot. Would the 1shot have killed him, more than positive. The second and third anchored him from getting too far. I had about 10min of daylight, and about 200 m away was a 300 m drop into a draw they seek cover in, and I had no intentions of letting him get there. A solo hunt, that would have been a nightmare of a retrieve.
I went back to a bolt action this year, as I built a 45 Raptor. Basically a 450 BM ai. My elk this year took one round through the lungs and the heart. No way to get a second round into him even with the bolt action, which realistically is only seconds shorter to reload than a Ruger no1. Heart had a 1”+ hole out the back side, so to say he was leaking is an understatement.
I do believe with some work you can get the no 1’s shooting accurately.
For the useless Ruger base, get the EWG rails for them, and mount the scope in normal rings where you require it to be. Real easy fix!


















































