Ruger Old Army - #209 shotgun primer conversion nipples.

tacfoley

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apologies if this is vieux chapeau and you already know all about them, but over here they ARE new. Over here in yUK one of the companies who makes nitro conversions for the ROA has just produced a set of conversion nipples - from caps to shotgun primers. A couple of my fellow club members here tried out an ROA with them last evening, and proclaimed them a raging success - the HUGE flame sets off the 35gr Pyrodex load instantaneously, without a hint of oftimes-encountered 'click-bang'

Anybody here interested?

If so, I'll find out more about them.

Understandably, they are NOT HC, but then, nor is the million-selling ROA.

tac
 
Well, that is interesting....but, I can never figure guys who use Pyrodex instead of black powder! I hear people comment about BP being tougher to clean and more corrosive. BP is not more corrosive than Pyrodex and is not as hard to clean as Pyrodex in my opinion. I had a muzzle loader which did the click....bang thing with pyrodex. There were all sorts of solutions involving new parts, modifications and voodoo. As soon as I went to BP I had instant ignition every time. I would like to see how anyone managed to convert the ROA to shotgun primer ignition so post a photo if you can. I never thought.....is BP not available in GB? Dave
 
Well, that is interesting....but, I can never figure guys who use Pyrodex instead of black powder! I hear people comment about BP being tougher to clean and more corrosive. BP is not more corrosive than Pyrodex and is not as hard to clean as Pyrodex in my opinion. I had a muzzle loader which did the click....bang thing with pyrodex. There were all sorts of solutions involving new parts, modifications and voodoo. As soon as I went to BP I had instant ignition every time. I would like to see how anyone managed to convert the ROA to shotgun primer ignition so post a photo if you can. I never thought.....is BP not available in GB? Dave

Of course BP is available in GB - home of the muzzleloading association of GB [MLAGB], the Historical Breech-loading Small Arms Assoc, the largest WoNA e-enactment society outside the USA, and of the Sealed Knot Society, who commemorate the English Civil War in large-scale and very noisy and smokey battles,, but I'm not a member of either of any of them. Some are way too serious for me, and others are way too costly in time and uniforms.

BP is fine, IF you can get it. Those who can't, shoot the subs. My nearest BP seller of Swiss BP is 120 miles away, with gas at Can$8.50 a gallon to go there and fetch it in person. Shipping it directly to me is also a possibility, after I've sent photo-copies of my license to purchase and acquire, but added to the cost of the stuff is the Can$50 HAZMAT charge.

OTOH, the subs are readily available.

Hereabouts, we all do what we can.

tac
 
I guess the license to purchase might be a bit of a pain but locally the club I am in makes a group purchase of 25 to 50 lbs and then has one of our members drive the 60 miles to pick it up. $1 per lb on 50 lbs will cover the cost of fuel to drive to the source and back

cheers mooncoon
 
tacfoley post more info on the updates. If it worked well with your powder it probably will perform just as well with Holy Black. I see why you are doing what you are doing when it comes to powder so keep making smoke!

Ken.
 
I guess the license to purchase might be a bit of a pain but locally the club I am in makes a group purchase of 25 to 50 lbs and then has one of our members drive the 60 miles to pick it up. $1 per lb on 50 lbs will cover the cost of fuel to drive to the source and back

cheers mooncoon

Naw, the BP license is free, but the gas sure ain't.

tac
 
Well, I emole Alan Westlake, and this is the answer I just received -

Hi Tac,
Please look at my website www.westlakeengineering.com for details of what I do.
A ROA cylinder in 45 would cost £404 currently, and must be fitted to the revolver and then proofed, so I cannot just send you an extra cylinder, you would need to send me the revolver to work on.
Regards, Alan

Suddenly, I've lost all interest.

tac
 
Back
Top Bottom