Ruger Old Army Pistol

caribooghost

New member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey GunNutz. I am thinking of buying a Ruger old army black powder revolver. I would like to hear some opinions on this pistol and some informed estimates on Canadian :canadaFlag: pricing for this gun." Used less than 50 rounds. Stainless. In excellent shape minus the rear sight."
I would also like to know where to find parts for this pistol.
I'm not able to post attachments for some reason or I would attach a pic of it.
Thanks
 
While not traditional, the Old Army is one hell of a shooter! Takes big balls to shoot one - .457 as opposed to .451-.452.

Lots of parts available. Try Ruger or VTI Gun Parts.
 
it's a GREAT pistol- shares the same frame and internals as the OLD Blackhawk( ie no transfer bar) basically it's a Blackhawk set up for black powder- ie different cylinder, hammer, and loading bar- I've had the blued version since 74 in the 7.5 in tube- trick is to use the special old army bullet mold that throws a 457 SOFT LEAD bullet- that giVES A GOOD SEAL- oh sure you can use 45 ( 452) bullets in it, but the don't act like 457s
 
I bought mine on my birthday in 1986 and shoot it at least twice a month on guest days - maybe 144 shots of 26gr of Pyrodex P or 30gr of 3Fg. I'm on my second set of nipples, but apart from that there has only been one issue - the back frame screws lost their Nyloc-iness and kept backing out. Four years ago I contacted a nice lady in the Ruger factory and bought the last four, sorry.

There are now NO spare parts that are not common with the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk. I'm in the middle of negotiating a run of replacement cylinder base pins of the original style with a local precision aeromed spares company, although a quick-release version is available for those who take the cylinder out to reload on a bench loader. It costs around US$50.

II second the use of the correct size ball - .457 - Lee make a special mould for it that throws a 125/5gr ball. They also make a heeled conical mould of 220gr. No real point to it, IMO, unless you hunt feral hog with around 40gr of T7. Note that although Ruger touted this revolver as a .44 cal, they had latterly changed that to calling it a .45cal - they are one and the same as far as bullet diameter goes, so pay it no heed.

Over here in yUK they are fetching stupid money - $1000-1200 is commonplace.

tac
 
Last edited:
Ruger Old Army is an excellent shooter. It has an advantage due to the adjustable rear sights something that traditional muzzleloading pistols do not have. Aside from the sights it is fitted together well. They came in blued and stainless versions with a couple of barrel lengths. $400 for a blued and $500 for stainless are fair market prices for what I have seen in the last year. This may vary on accessories wear etc. There are however guns that people are ask more for but they usually take awhile to sell. There are a few for sale once in awhile. I would not say that they shoot necessarily better than any others but they are above the average due to the sights. They shoot a .457 ball versus a .454 ball in others. I have a Pedersoli 1858 that shoots just as well as the Ruger. There are parts available, I would try Ruger repair depots, Ruger, VTI for your replacement parts. I cannot remember if the sight were the same as the Ruger SAs. There may be some shoots that you cannot use them due to the sights. Good luck.
 
in all fairness, aside from the nipples, how often are you going to have to replace those parts - unless you're beating the s*it or using for a hammer or something it's a NEVER HAPPEN situation- mine is still in the same condition as it left the factory save the cylinder which could use a re- blue- that's 41 years and I haven't been easy on it- most MACHINISTS can make spares on a unimat if needed- your trick is to find one- imo, the spare parts thing is a ghost problem and NEEDN'T be considered- just watch for your grip screws backing out
and I have used 45 colt bullets in it with no problems- as well as 45 acp=230 and 250 grain, so you need not cast your own unless you prefer it
 
I'm gonna get flamed...
I had one and didn't care for it. Just didn't feel 'Right' in my hand. After shooting a Pietta 1851 Navy for a while; then going to the Ruger...just no pointability IMO
Huge gun compared to a Colt as well.
Yep, better gun. Stronger, better designed too. Just not a nice balance for me.
 
I'm gonna get flamed...
I had one and didn't care for it. Just didn't feel 'Right' in my hand. After shooting a Pietta 1851 Navy for a while; then going to the Ruger...just no pointability IMO
Huge gun compared to a Colt as well.
Yep, better gun. Stronger, better designed too. Just not a nice balance for me.
that's because it fits in your LEFT hand- that's where the cut out for the nipples are- when it comes to black powder , the saber goes in the right and the pistol goes in the left- and it's done on the cross draw
 
I have a 7.5 inch stainless Ruger OA with adjustable sights and consider it the best cap and ball revolver that I have ever shot. It is more accurate than some of my cartridge revolvers and I have never experienced a jam from spent percussion caps.
 
I have a 7.5 inch stainless Ruger OA with adjustable sights and consider it the best cap and ball revolver that I have ever shot. It is more accurate than some of my cartridge revolvers and I have never experienced a jam from spent percussion caps.

I have two ROAs, both in stainless steel, one with 7.5inch barrel and adjustable sights and the other with the 5.5inch barrel and fixed sights.

There is only three additional augmenting purchases, a spare Classicballistx cap & ball cylinder, a Kirst conversion cylinder in 45 Colt.
And a Belt Mountain quick cylinder change setup.

Yeah, lots of extra goodies! (read $$$)
 
I've owned several and still have 2. The going rate around $650 cdn for last few I've seen for sale.

They are tanks like other Ruger single action pistols and will easily outlive you and your kids with a little care.
Always be certain that the axis pin is properly locked before using the loading lever or it pulls forward and gets bent. This is one of the parts that is no longer available.
If the price is half reasonable buy it. You won't be sorry. Or you can always sell it again.
 
Horses for courses, gentlemen. Like anything else in life, there will be those who like'em and those who don't.

That's why there is so much choice of C&B handguns, to cater for all likes/dislikes. I have a nice set of wooden grips by Herrett on mine - ambidextrous and look good, too.

As for the often bent cylinder axis pin due to overlooking the locking bolt and thereby causing the pin to bend at the weakest point - that cut-out - I'm already in a conversation with a local machines shop here in yUK about getting some made on their CAD machines for less that the US$70 [and no shipping to Canada] that one can find on E***.

If they are anything like what I consider to be a reasonable price, say $50, is there anybody here who might be interested?

As an aside, one dealer here in yUK is charging people £66.00 - that's way north of a Can$100, for a set of replacement nipples. I get them in a specialist gun store in Springfield OR - The Gun Works - for less than ONE-FIFTH that price. Talk to Joe or Suzi and tell them I sent you. ;)

tac
 
Last edited:
Horses for courses, gentlemen. Like anything else in life, there will be those who like'em and those who don't.

That's why there is so much choice of C&B handguns, to cater for all likes/dislikes. I have a nice set of wooden grips by Herrett on mine - ambidextrous and look good, too.

As for the often bent cylinder axis pin due to overlooking the locking bolt and thereby causing the pin to bend at the weakest point - that cut-out - I'm already in a conversation with a local machines shop here in yUK about getting some made on their CAD machines for less that the US$70 [and no shipping to Canada] that one can find on E***.

If they are anything like what I consider to be a reasonable price, say $50, is there anybody here who might be interested?

As an aside, one dealer here in yUK is charging people £66.00 - that's way north of a Can$100, for a set of replacement nipples. I get them in a specialist gun store in Springfield OR - The Gun Works - for less than ONE-FIFTH that price. Talk to Joe or Suzi and tell them I sent you. ;)

tac

Count me in for one possibly 2, as I said in my PM and thanks for the heads up on the nipples. I was just looking to buy a set. Glad I checked this post out!!
 
Thanks to all for getting back to me so quickly. I appreciate your input on this gun. I am going to say that even with the rear site missing $500 Canadian is a good deal. So I am buying it and from the sounds of it going to have a lot of fun with it.
I really appreciate the tips on loading, as this is my first venture into black powder.
I did check out the sites you all posted. Unfortunately they had no Ruger parts for me. I will keep looking.
I have tried to get gun parts up from the USA. Seems the Canadian customs folks are a little iffy on that. Just wondering if anyone else has had parts not make it in? I'm talking sights and such, not silencers and 15 shot mags.
 
did you try snaps shots in Quebec?- carole petrie- might be my pistol, but I can't see ruger using different screws and such over the Blackhawk- I know for a fact that the screws in my redhawk are the exact same screws in the old army- what I would do is acquire a Blackhawk manual , order those parts, and TRY IT- do NOT mention the old army as that will put up a brick wall immediately- if it doesn't work you're out all of about 8 bucks plus shipping
 
Thanks to all for getting back to me so quickly. I appreciate your input on this gun. I am going to say that even with the rear site missing $500 Canadian is a good deal. So I am buying it and from the sounds of it going to have a lot of fun with it.
I really appreciate the tips on loading, as this is my first venture into black powder.
I did check out the sites you all posted. Unfortunately they had no Ruger parts for me. I will keep looking.
I have tried to get gun parts up from the USA. Seems the Canadian customs folks are a little iffy on that. Just wondering if anyone else has had parts not make it in? I'm talking sights and such, not silencers and 15 shot mags.

The problem is US export restrictions on almost all gun parts except muzzleloading. It is not Canadian Customs at all: they want only GST or HST.
 
Horses for courses, gentlemen. Like anything else in life, there will be those who like'em and those who don't.

That's why there is so much choice of C&B handguns, to cater for all likes/dislikes. I have a nice set of wooden grips by Herrett on mine - ambidextrous and look good, too.

As for the often bent cylinder axis pin due to overlooking the locking bolt and thereby causing the pin to bend at the weakest point - that cut-out - I'm already in a conversation with a local machines shop here in yUK about getting some made on their CAD machines for less that the US$70 [and no shipping to Canada] that one can find on E***.

If they are anything like what I consider to be a reasonable price, say $50, is there anybody here who might be interested?

As an aside, one dealer here in yUK is charging people £66.00 - that's way north of a Can$100, for a set of replacement nipples. I get them in a specialist gun store in Springfield OR - The Gun Works - for less than ONE-FIFTH that price. Talk to Joe or Suzi and tell them I sent you. ;)

tac

I would be in for a pin as well. I have a 7.5 inch stainless Old Army.
 
Back
Top Bottom