Ruger Old Army

For my ROA I use a Uncle Mikes powder flask with a metered tip . Not too concerned with consistent loading or accuracy . I just shoot my ROA for fun
(& to smoke out other shooters at the range so they will leave & I get the range to my self :rolleyes:)

:D:D
 
When you guys load, do you tap your measure untill it is compressed or do you just fill and pour? I notice quite a powder difference

Tapping will not compress but just just settle the powder kind of like using a drop tube for BPCR. Compression is only when you actually apply pressure to the load by seating the bullet.

The exact method is not so important. To be as consistent as possible everytime is what will help you keep tight groups. On a pistol measure it should be a pretty small difference but it never hurts to do all the steps teh same every time.

I give my measure a slight tap but kind of feel that its a habit I should break myself of as its hard to do the same every shot.
 
Thanks for the advice. We were not too worried about the grouping as just the shooting, noise and smoke and being able to hit a 6x6 at 25 yards. It seemed the more I tapped the more powder I could put into the measure. I have a plastic powder holder with a spring push on it and I fill a brass measure and then put it into the chamber.
By the way does anyone use a stand or a holder or know of anything like that that you put your gun in to load? I usually run out of hands..would'nt be too fast in the middle of an old time barroom shootout...haha
 
I have been using simple stands for years and have seen at least a dozen designs. Well worth a few minutes to slap one together. (Hopefully I remember how to make photos work...)

pistolstand003.jpg


pistolstand002.jpg


pistolstand001.jpg


The next one I build will have a hinge and fit in the range box.
 
The next one I build will have a hinge and fit in the range box.

Yes a hinge and some kind a way to have the vertical piece snap in place.
Like the legs on a folding table. Anybody seen a piece of hardware like this???

Also I will glue a piece of foam from a campers mattress pad on the plywood to protect the wood on the gun.
 
You have to be a bit careful if you put any struts or braces on the front diagonal as they tend to get in the way of loading.

Some I've seen have a slot that the back drops into and some were incoporated into a range box. One design was a heavy base with a thick dowel that came up to hold the barrel support. You want the gun to be as vertical as possible and try to make sure that you only exert force straight down when loading.
 
You have to be a bit careful if you put any struts or braces on the front diagonal as they tend to get in the way of loading.

Could have the strut on the opposite side of the gun;)

A stand for my old army built into a home made range box.
Good idea.
The base would be oversize lengthwise on one end.
Work on the gun would be outside the box.
 
Back
Top Bottom