Russian 22lr ammo

ive had some steel case stuff i found it to be garbage i pulled the bullets dumped the powder and used tha cases as targets

.22 bullets packed inside of a 12ga shell (some what like #4 buck) made a neat pattern

id not buy it well maybe a few box's for the collection

i think aluminum case would have been a better choice for rimfire ammo
 
"Garbage" isn't being descriptive at all. WHY was it garbage? What brand?

I have shot some Russian steel cased that was very accurate. Still might have some around.


it was that steel case junior stuff

it would fail to go off
the round would only go about half way down the barrel
or the bullet would leave the barrel and land about 10ft down range

i got fed up pulled the rest of that box and kept a few box's

people complain about the wax on the outside of the round i guess thay have not seen older .22lr then with the outside lubricated bullets

id just stick to bulk pack stuff if you want cheap ammo

i use the bulk pack for hunting i even use soild points for small game you dont need anything fancy
 
I've fired a few thousands of the blue Biathlon box stuff... along with the Steel case Junior... (Back when Century was selling it).

The steel case stuff didn't work all that good in the semi (10/22)... but it worked good (and was reasonably accurate) in the lever and bolt guns.

If the price was right, I wouldn't mind getting another few thousands.
 
I sold about 10 boxes of Russian steel cased .22lr about 2 years ago. It was pretty vintage but worked alright, though I always gave each round a quick wipe as they were a bit sticky from whatever lubricant had been used to help prevent corroson. No duds that I encountered though it was a bit messier to clean up than newer ammo. Worked fine in my T017.
 
I laughed when I saw the title of the thread. As a kid about age 10 or 12 (40 yrs ago) I'd buy "russian" .22 shells at McLeod's for about 1/4 maybe even 1/5 the price of the dominion's at the time. The "russian" shells were all black, and about 25-30% wouldn't fire the first attempt. You'd have to turn the shell so the firing pin would strike a different spot, haha. Thinking back, I'll bet they were steel.
Hey, since it was my hard saved and seldom doled out allowance money buying my shells to shoot gophers, quantity was the important thing. :cheers:
 
I had a clerk in a local gunstore tell me that "tactical" 22lr firearms like the SR22 and 597 were inaccurate toys that were stupid and no one should buy them (I went in to buy one of the two). Or something along those lines. He then went on to tell me that I could'nt put a Leupold scope on my 10-22 or it would break it. He said it needed to be a rimfire scope. I proceded to tell him that I had put non-rimfire scopes on 10-22s before and never had a problem with even cheap ones. Then I told him if he was worried to install a bolt buffer but, with a high quality scope like a Leupold it shouldnt matter. he didnt know what a bolt buffer was (probably thought it was for polishing his Model 700's bolt :)and told me I was wrong. Needless to say I bought my SR from someone else. Its very inaccurate too(sarcasm). I hit a pop can at 300 meters a few weeks ago. Its highly modded but still shot fine when stock. Ive learned over the years to do my own research.
 
Back
Top Bottom