S&W Schofield ####

apu

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
159   0   0
Location
Manitoba
Well gentleman, after a extremely protracted wait, my S&W Schofield 2nd model revolver finally arrived and she is a beauty, worthy of some glam shots.

She is one of less than 9000 original Schofield patent revolvers produced in total by Smith and Wesson, likely much less actually surviving the last 135 years. According to my Roy Jinks letter, this particular 45 cal revolver was delivered to the US government Springfield armory, in 1877. After that you can start using your imagination, maybe the Indian wars in South Dakota, maybe some stage coach robbery after it's military stint, who knows? Enjoy.

schof1.jpg


schof2.jpg
 
Very nice your getting good at takeing pictures of old guns to!
I love my old schofield. mines a comercial model but they ended up in all kinda places to.
Schofields are getting harder to find.
Mine had a shortened 3.5 inch barrel when i got it was rough looking hard used.
now its rebuilt sports a brand new 7 inch barrel and new cylinder as well so mine shoots some hotter loads.
I need to find a decent reblueing expert tho to get mine finished
The Schofield top latch is about the strongest of any break top pre 1898.
One reason why my schofield wont be up for sale. + it shoots out the bulleye at 25 yds right on target no holding left right or up and down.
Mine shoots 6 Gr trail boss loads with a 250 gr keith SWC
I can hit dam near anything with this gun.

Thats a beauty Apu !
 
Very nice your getting good at takeing pictures of old guns to!
Thats a beauty Apu !

Means a great deal coming from the master.:)

Dingus, I am not sure if I have ever come across pictures of your Schofield, would you mind posting them again if possible, would love to see them.
 
Means a great deal coming from the master.:)

Dingus, I am not sure if I have ever come across pictures of your Schofield, would you mind posting them again if possible, would love to see them.

Sure mines rough lookin tho but built to shoot under 2 inch groups at 25 yds with its mint bore has .454 bore and .454 chamber throats and no play in the barrel hinge and latch. ;)
I will throw some pics up later.
I really think yours looks great!
 
Holy smokes Batman! That is really, really nice. I have yet to buy my first antique handgun, but that sure makes me want to get at it!
Congrats, that is a very nice gun.
Matt
 
You got yourself a beauty. The Schofield is a classic six gun. From what I've read, most Schofields were used by certain Cavalry in the Indian wars of the mid 1870's. I had an original once. Now they are so expensive I doubt I will ever own another one. The six gun I'm holding in my avatar to the left is that original Schofield I once owned.
 
Win 38-55, truth be told you and your old posts about your old Schofield inspired me to start looking a couple years back. As I recall you subsequently acquired a S&W 44 American (great old grandaddy of model 3s) after your Schofield. Do still have that smith? Now that's a piece of history!
 
Heres Mine shes a gray gun,,, had this gun for years has a brand new barrel and longer custom cylinder its still 45 Schofield tho. Built to shoot and hit stuff. :)
The Orignal 3.5 inch barrel and cylinder can go on the gun as well if i feel like packing nasty but this set up shoots so dam good i doubt id ever change it back.
Its got alot of new internal parts as it was pretty rough looking gun when i bought it as and outlaws gun with the 3.5 inch barrel.
I use this with a 45 Caliber Speedloader.
Has a mint .454 bore and .454 chamber throats shoots to point of aim at 25 yds right on the bullseye...
Ser # in the 6000s Comercial bought gun.


P1010015_56.jpg


P1010016_57.jpg
 
Last edited:
Very nice guns guys.
I'm going to be dropping of an antique revolver for re-bluing soon. Local fellow apparently does a really nice job. I'll post before and after pic's.
Maybe he can help you out dingus. He's in the Hat which (relatively speaking) is close to you.
 
As I recall you subsequently acquired a S&W 44 American (great old grandaddy of model 3s) after your Schofield. Do still have that smith? Now that's a piece of history!
No. Of all the guns I've ever sold, that is the one I have regretted selling the most. The factory letter states that it was shipped in 1873. I still have a photo of it and another of the Schofield I once owned. Here they are ...

Here is the original 2nd Model American in 44 Russian, shipped in 1873 ...
Russ-Bible-Tilt-900.jpg


and here is the Schofield I once owned, an old timer that probably saw service in the Indian wars .....
Schof-Plank.jpg
 
Very nice Apu! How's it shoot?

Hey Grizz, literally just got her in my hands the other day so have not had a chance to try her out. Will have to try and bring it the club someday, have not been there in a while, was out in UK for a good chunk of the summer. Have you had your Schofield out recently?
 
Why i think the schofield Revolvers are great!
is the grip and the natural pointing of the gun.
They just point where i want to shoot i dont have to think about it to much... lift it up fire = dead target :D

I can blow the crap outa stuff and make it spin like a top!

Schofields are about as good as it gets in and antique
The latch system designed by Schofield himself is just the best top break designe i ever seen and used yet on any top break way better than even the webleys.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom