S&W Schofield ####

Well finally got a chance to fire off a few rounds I had assembled before the gun even arrived. I was using load data from Win38-55's posts(thank you), using 4198 powder but with a much more conservative 9 grain behind a 250 grain FNFB bullet sized .454, OAL 1.39. It had pleasant recoil and was pretty much point of aim at 15 yards. Needless to say I was surprised when I fired up the chronny and I was only getting about 240 ft/ sec. I will have to try and work up to his 18 grain loads.

Regardless even with uber slow velocity my groups (at 15 yards) still ended up 2 inch range. I am impressed, it's accuracy seems to rank up there with my Webley WG, might be a little better. Speaking of which, I got a chance to also chrony some factory Fiocchi 455. It was a consistent 573 feet/sec at 10 ft, with very little variation. As I suspected, it's not as hot as everyone on the web would leave you to believe, but I guess that is discussion for another thread :)

ammo1.jpg


ammo2.jpg
 
By gum! You sure-nuff started out real conservative with your loading! If I recall correctly, my first real conservative load bounced off the stump I was shooting at. I think I started off with IMR 3031 but realized after jacking up the powder levels that I would never get enough 3031 into the case to get anywhere near original velocities, so I went with a slightly faster powder, IMR 4198. Since then, I've developed a few other loads ....

15.5 grains of 5744 for 800 fps

17.2 grains of IMR 4227 for 833 fps

Both of these loads use a 250 grain soft cast (pure wheelweights) bullets.
 
By gum! You sure-nuff started out real conservative with your loading!

Yeah, I know, but there were alot of variables I could not account for when I first cooked up the load, main ones being that I did not even have the gun so I was unsure of it's ability and I had yet to use 4198 in a revolver round. I was used to dumping some odd 28 grain in my 50/70 roller and "thought hmm, 18 grain out of an old revolver seemed like a lot, lets start lower".

Oddly it had nice recoil and penetrated some thick poplar logs sufficiently that the lead was burried to some unknown depth and I was frankly surprised when the chrony was reading so low. I honestly thought it was broken. :)



Meanea, that is a beutiful uncut Schofield you have there.
 
I was shooting some mild loads using trailboss powder. 3.5 grains behind a 200 grain bullet and 4.3 grains behind a 250 grain bullet. Oddly, I found the point of impact high at 20 yards,and I needed to hold the front sight at the bottom of the rear.
 
Back
Top Bottom