Sad, butchered "barn-find" SAA - pix inside...

Dark Alley Dan

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
Location
Darkest Edmonton
Hi, all.

I'm selling a number of handguns for an old family friend. He mentioned he had a SAA that he might want to move on to a better home. I was horrified to find this.

Saa1.jpg


From three feet away, it looks salvageable, but when you get closer, I dunno...

SAA2.jpg


Butchered screws, zero original finish, and a patina that screams "buried in the garden for a couple of years". It was a first-gen blackpowder frame with what appears to be a four-digit serial (although the three line patent dates on the frame would place it later than that). Someone (probably brunching with Hitler about now) appears to have made an effort to render it inoperable via welding...

saa8.jpg


The "ejector rod" isn't...
saa5.jpg


Everywhere there are hints of either the last few tiny traces of nickle finish or "overspray" from welding...

saa9.jpg


saa11.jpg


The passenger side looks pretty good...
saa4.jpg

...if you don't mind the honkin' gap 'twixt the frame and the grip frame.

The bore looks like a railroad tunnel, and has been ground down at the muzzle, but only on one side...
saa10.jpg


The patent info is still legible atop the barrel, but just...
saa6.jpg


This is a sad, sad thing. It's like meeting a lady of advanced years who once was a respected member of the community, and now she's working as a coke whore.

The Blue Book tells me that a pistol of this vintage is worth something like $5000.00 in 10% condition, but I truly don't believe she's even rating that high. There's a lot of trainwreck in this old girl. With the welding and scratches, I don't even know that the frame is salvageable.

What think you folks? I know that restoration is a question of money, and that a guy could throw enough money at this pistol to make her beautiful again, but how much money could we be talking about here? What could be done about the welding?

Can she be saved?
 
I'd have it apart already and be at the polishing wheel ;)


What I mean by that is I'd be in cleanup mode right away.
get it apart so you can better determine the extent of the damage.
At the very least you could have a dandy display piece.
 
Last edited:
the more I look at those pictures the more it appears that the damage was a failed attempt to fix.
On the left side the screw heads are #####ed from someone trying to muscle them out with the wrong screwdriver.Then they ran a file across to take the burrs down.
Don't be surprised if the welding was the same kind of poor try at a fix.
Sloppy cylinder pin?weld it tight...one just never knows.
I've seen some pretty stupid #### when it comes to firearms.I spent 2 hours one time talking an old neighbor out of welding washers to the barrel of an Anschutz .222 to protect the front sight...
 
Well if you can get the trigger gard and back strap off then drill out the Actions trigger and bolt and hammer screws you might be able to rebuild that Action.
A good gunsmith could do it but to get it looking decent again with that much damage i dont know.
I know a fellow in Texas who can redo all the patent dates again and barrel addreses but its not cheep and takes a long time.
 
Last edited:
Wow......Thats one project you have there.

Looks mostly complete to me.

Think of it as a challenge....A dare even.


Like counting coo on a foe.....

Its a dreamy old iron, one I would gladly take into my care...Its a project I hope one day to be blessed with the like of!


I hope the "welding" is just solder, if so it should be easy enough to carefully reheat and let it run off


Document the restoration and have at her!!

Amazing!
 
It can be saved. Lots of money in, not as much out. Problem is, it can be made pretty again, but never original.

Looks to me like it got turned into a kids toy at some point along the way.

I dunno what the blue book defines as a 10 percent gun, but I think they may be a wee bit off base, looking at the first gen guns that are listed for sale, and in shooting or at least shootable condition. Seems to be more than a few under 10K. I was looking at a Prescribed Antique SAA this weekend in pretty decent shape, for under 4K.

I'd be willing to drop a couple hundred on a project like that. It'd be a long slow road to find what I need to pull it back from the brink, but it would be an interesting trip. You gonna post this for sale soon?

I really want to find one or two 1877 Thunderers in that kind of shape for a project.

Cheers
Trev
 
Well guys fear not the gun will be restored. :)

I bought it and intend to fixer up and post pics of the gun here once its all nice as i can get it.
Im not getting to crazy with getting the patent dates re rolled, i knida like the worn look just needs the gouges smoothed out and the nicks dealt with Screws replaced threads recut ect.

I will salvage that orignal barrel and i have the proper Orignal Ejector houseing to go back on the old girl, i have a few in my parts collection.
Once its all cleaned up and re tightened up i bet she shoots 2 inch groups or less at 25 yds again :D
 
I should see if Kreskin needs an apprentice...cuzz somehow I had a feeling this exact thing would happen ;)

I canna wait to see er dun.

maybe some step by step pics of the recovery process so we can share in the resurrection
I'm one screw and some fine tuning from being done the only project I have right now...
I'll be needing a fix along the way :D
 
Relics

There's still hope. I like relics with some history like your SSA.
This is a pocket Colt SN 302236 found by an old guy in the 1950's in a pasture by Black Diamond Ab. Likely best to leave this original. (unless you found the rest)..
P1020950.jpg
 
I look at it as a great piece to learn/work on your restoration skills on. Have fun and learn what works (or doesn't):)
 
I will post pics but mainly when its finished.
Before and after kinda pics.
Anything i cant handle or do 100% right my freind who is a gunsmith is a artist with anything steel. ;)
 
Hi, all.

I'm selling a number of handguns for an old family friend. He mentioned he had a SAA that he might want to move on to a better home. I was horrified to find this.

Saa1.jpg


From three feet away, it looks salvageable, but when you get closer, I dunno...

SAA2.jpg


Butchered screws, zero original finish, and a patina that screams "buried in the garden for a couple of years". It was a first-gen blackpowder frame with what appears to be a four-digit serial (although the three line patent dates on the frame would place it later than that). Someone (probably brunching with Hitler about now) appears to have made an effort to render it inoperable via welding...

saa8.jpg


The "ejector rod" isn't...
saa5.jpg


Everywhere there are hints of either the last few tiny traces of nickle finish or "overspray" from welding...

saa9.jpg


saa11.jpg


The passenger side looks pretty good...
saa4.jpg

...if you don't mind the honkin' gap 'twixt the frame and the grip frame.

The bore looks like a railroad tunnel, and has been ground down at the muzzle, but only on one side...
saa10.jpg


The patent info is still legible atop the barrel, but just...
saa6.jpg


This is a sad, sad thing. It's like meeting a lady of advanced years who once was a respected member of the community, and now she's working as a coke whore.

The Blue Book tells me that a pistol of this vintage is worth something like $5000.00 in 10% condition, but I truly don't believe she's even rating that high. There's a lot of trainwreck in this old girl. With the welding and scratches, I don't even know that the frame is salvageable.

What think you folks? I know that restoration is a question of money, and that a guy could throw enough money at this pistol to make her beautiful again, but how much money could we be talking about here? What could be done about the welding?

Can she be saved?

Check out this http://www.hunterrestorations.com/Examples.html Mike can do amazing work with little.
RK
 
Hi, all.

I'm selling a number of handguns for an old family friend. He mentioned he had a SAA that he might want to move on to a better home. I was horrified to find this.

Saa1.jpg


From three feet away, it looks salvageable, but when you get closer, I dunno...

SAA2.jpg


Butchered screws, zero original finish, and a patina that screams "buried in the garden for a couple of years". It was a first-gen blackpowder frame with what appears to be a four-digit serial (although the three line patent dates on the frame would place it later than that). Someone (probably brunching with Hitler about now) appears to have made an effort to render it inoperable via welding...

saa8.jpg


The "ejector rod" isn't...
saa5.jpg


Everywhere there are hints of either the last few tiny traces of nickle finish or "overspray" from welding...

saa9.jpg


saa11.jpg


The passenger side looks pretty good...
saa4.jpg




saa10.jpg


but just...
saa6.jpg




Can she be saved?

I just had to get this btt, I just love stuff like this!
 
So...how is every mans dream project coming???;)
I have a full rack of horns the wife salvaged- I can cut a set of grip blanks from if you are a hankering for some lowball bartering???


Saa1.jpg


From three feet away, it looks salvageable, but when you get closer, I dunno...

SAA2.jpg


Butchered screws, zero original finish, and a patina that screams "buried in the garden for a couple of years".
saa8.jpg


The "ejector rod" isn't...
saa5.jpg


Everywhere there are hints of either the last few tiny traces of nickle finish or "overspray" from welding...

saa9.jpg


saa11.jpg


The passenger side looks pretty good...
saa4.jpg

...if you don't mind the honkin' gap 'twixt the frame and the grip frame.

The bore looks like a railroad tunnel, and has been ground down at the muzzle, but only on one side...
saa10.jpg


The patent info is still legible atop the barrel, but just...
saa6.jpg


This is a sad, sad thing. It's like meeting a lady of advanced years who once was a respected member of the community, and now she's working as a coke whore.
 
Dang, man - any "after" pictures?

I will look. the gun turned out Ok nothing fantastic tho.
It shot great and as far as i know is still doing good as a bush packer.

There ya go... the gun needed a new barrel and cylinder. other wise it would not have been a shooter.

P1010015_07.jpg


P1010016_08.jpg
 
Well done, Dingus. You're doing righteous work! That poor old lady suffered at the hands of some heathen wanker, but you've restored her dignity and given her a reason to live.

You're like the Salvation Army of guns. The Salvation Armorer?

I'll forward the pix to the fellow who owner her before you. He'll be tickled to see her back in trim.

Dan
 
Back
Top Bottom