i just got a snider enfield in .577. i know at shows i have seen afew people with the 'paper case' .577 ammo. do you think it would be safe to shoot? i mean as long as the gun was in good shape? i know nothing of black powder firearms.
paper case amoo is even older then the rolled brass(unless its Indian made) id not shoot any old ammo period weather it be .577 snider .577-450 or even .303
this ammo is worth more if kept as is BTW
I think you should read Green's comment again. Paper cased shells are usually paper covered foil. Those which appear to be foil only have had the paper scuffed off. I would agree with not shooting the old ammo for the simple reason that it is worth $8 - $10 each while still loaded and there is a good chance that the priming has deteriorated. I think the OP would be far better off to use modern cases and bullets which match original ones
While on the subject of original cases, I had occasion to measure the diameter of the paper patching on a Kynoch solid brass case factory shell, recently. The paper jacket was .475 to my surprise. I would expect the outside and exposed paper to have swollen up a bit but it still must imply that the original diameter inside the case must still be close to .470. In writing this, it occurs to me that if I measure the wall thickness of a fired case and the diameter of the neck of a loaded shell, I should be able to calculate the diameter of the bullet inside the factory brass case. Will report back later with the results
cheers mooncoon
the first .577 sniders were a paper tube with a iron head if he's talking about rolled brass or solid brass then say so
All nine marks of British service .577" ball ammo had a brass foil body covered in paper.
MkI had a brass "Potet" shotgun style base, MkII & III had a brass rim, and the others had an iron rim.
No British service ball ammo had a paper case.
The second pattern Cdn case c1886-91 eliminated the paper cover on the foil.
Sources:
"List of Changes in British War Material Vol I"
"The Boxer Cartridge in the British Service" Temple
"British Service Ammunition 1864-1938" Labbett
hmm im looking ad a paper case right now although this is a Indian made one
the first .577 sniders were a paper tube with a iron head if he's talking about rolled brass or solid brass then say so
hmm im looking ad a paper case right now although this is a Indian made one



























