Savage 10ML-II Improving!

deertroy

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Location
Nova Scotia
I have concluded that my rifle at least, has a definite preference for Harvester sabots. The N120 load is about 300 fps faster than the AA5744 load and it recoils a fair bit more also. I think it may group better than the target shows as during both of the shots that are high and right the thumbhole stock recoiled into the knuckle of my thumb? I need to adjust my grip when shooting this rifle.

Project1_zps4db81c5a.jpg
 
stick with the 300 gr. bullets (.458 are a better choice) you need to up the charge, try 60 grs and increase in 1 gr. increments. My sweet spot is with H4198@65 grs. N120 is a great powder too if available, it was never readily available to me.
allow plenty of cooling time between shots min. 15 mins if you're shooting for groups,the heat wreaks havoc on sabots. Here are a couple of examples with the recommended load.

 
I am quite certain my sweet load for the MLII is 42 gr of SR4759 with an MMP black sabot and a 250 gr Hornady XTP. I had poor accuracy with the SST bullets. 4227 was accurate but had ignition problems in the cold and after 3 misfires on deer I switches to 4759.
 
deertroy
looking at your targets, I see that your using the harvester crush rib sabot with a .458 bullet. I don't see any on their website for 45cal other than .451-.452 bullets. Are you using those? or do they have one specifically for a .458 bullet that isn't on their website?
 
or do they have one specifically for a .458 bullet that isn't on their website?
deertroy no doubt will answer himself...
but I have shot lots of .457 and .458 using the 451/452 Crushed rib sabots. I buy the Remington bulk 300gr, and Barnes 300gr spitzers for 45/70 and load em. Might be too tight for some bores so you gotta try it. The crushed rib design is what makes it possible - just crushing a little moreso.
 
Back
Top Bottom