I have one. The .303 Savage rd was very popular in the 1950's and 60's however this rd is expensive and hard to find these days. This rifle is actually a military one in concept and there is full wood and bayonet version out there..somewhere...please someone tell me where!? Anyhow; It was felt that the lever would be problematic for an infantryman shooting prone so it was passed over in favour of the...??? {can't recall}. All said and done these rifles are fantastic and back in the day were responsible for taking a lot of Ontario White Tail. {and the rotary mag is just cool }.
Mine has the "Crescent Butt" but I do recall that later versions did come with a Savage 99 "Shotgun Butt". Yours may have been replaced, but if so it was replaced with a Savage stock no doubt about it...the "cheeks" are way too distinctive.
I say fix it, reload for it, and shoot it!