savage 99 38-55 serial 68###

keirl45

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
kamloops bc
Hello gun nutz people, I could sure use some help learning about my old 1899 . it is 38 55 , has a half round , half octagon barrel in 26 inch. and still shoots straight for an old gun. serial 68,186 and it might be manufactured in 1906 or 7 but I am no expert. I sure like this old gun and I got my first deer with it in 1968, a 6 point whitetail. I am curious how rare this one might be. I would appreciate any info. on this thanks
 
thanks for all the feedback , I'm struggling to decide whether I should sell my 38-55 or my 45-70. I just sold my win. 94 and I will just keep one bush gun.in the near future. I found a 38-55 same description that sold on Guns America for $2295. but I would guess they sell for twice as much down there.- any thoughts on pricing? I have a bolt action for a m-1871/88 Dutch Beaumont-Vitali rifle if anyone needs one. It is huge in size and weight and a nice conversation piece
 
I doubt you would get that money for it up here. Might find a rabid 99 fan I guess, but this is Canada and we are cheap (must be the Scottish heritage ;) ). Maybe one of the 99 guys on here can weigh in, Mad Dog, where are you? I have a 99 in 38-55 as well, not as nice as that one though (and all apart at the moment, but I'll get to that). - dan
 
I have the same rifle.
It is an 1899C
the C is the barrel designation.
A=round
B=octagon
C= 1/2 octagon

Configuration is only a small part of value.Condition is the key factor.Pictures would help...I don't see any pictures.
 
I remember reading that about the" c " a while back but wasn't really sure because I thought it should be stamped c. now I learned something. thanks for the info. I still have to figure out how to put a picture on this site once I get a little time but I can say the gun has been very well used by 2 previous owners before my dad and that was my dads favorite hunting gun for moose and deer for many years. all original parts with matching numbers on forestock , buttstock and buttplate. but the wood was cracked and has been glued and re varnished . barrel looks not to bad for over 104 years old and I can still hunt with it. I sure do like the rotary magazine which was supposed to be ahead of its time. I even have one box of original 38-55 brass with black powder ammo. that came with it ( remington umc 255 grains bullet. I was offered 800 forthe gun 30 years ago, and that's probably what I might ask for it because has some wear.
 
That's a bit high from the sounds of things.The re-varnish and crack repair being issues...but hey you can always drop the price if it doesn't sell...or keep it ;)
I have a shooter in every Savage caliber and an 1899B in 32-40 and the 1899C in 38-55 all I need is an 1899A in 25-35 or 30-30 and I'm done.
 
Use photobucket to post pictures. There should be a sticky somewhere on how to do it. You basically load you pictures on PB then put the img code in your post.

As was mentioned condition is everything unless you have an extremely rare rifle. And while somewhat old, a 1899 isn't that rare. They come up for sale now and then. That said I don't remember seeing one in .38-55
 
That's a bit high from the sounds of things.The re-varnish and crack repair being issues..

:agree:

Sounds like a grey gun with normal 99 issues.
It is a scarcer C model, I would think it would fetch $5-600 if it has an excellent bright bore.

I had a 1/2 & 1/2 in 38-55 & 32-40.
Sold them both now hunt deer with a 38-55 A model.
 
I appreciate the advice brother Rockeye, I'm already thinking $700 is a more realistic price with 4 boxes ammo. included. And that 25-35 you mentioned is one my dad owned and just gave away to a nephew. my dad had over 100 guns and now he just has one left for hunting- a 7mm mannlicher for hunting- I sure hope he gets a deer this fall because at 98 years old that would be pretty special. as for pictures ,I'm going to work on that very soon- I like that Lao Tzu quote.
 
Keril45, another gunnutz who posts about the Savage 99 is 99trix. You might want to pm him.

Nice to hear you like the quote. Unfortunately there's some here that don't practice it.
 
hello fugawi I'm new here -how do I pm somebody. len

Len, if you know the thread that the nutter has posted in you can just follow what senior said to pm him/her. (say if you wanted to pm senior or me from this thread)

If you don't know what thread someone has posted in then go to the Search drop down menu (not the one for the thread you are reading) but the Search function next Rules and FAQs towards the top of the page.

Click on it and select Advanced Search. You will see a place to search User Names on the right side. Just type in the user's name (99TRix, fugawi etc) and do a search. This will bring up threads or posts by that user with their name which you can click on. If you click on their name it will take you to their profile and you can go to their contacts list and pm them from there. Alternatively (and quicker) you can go to one of their posts or threads and click on their user name as senior suggests.

Try sending me a pm both ways if you want.
 
That butt stock is a special order shotgun butt, makes it a bit more interesting as you usually see them with the regular crescent buttplate.

I think looking at U.S. sites doesn't help at all when your looking at pricing guns in Canada, in fact it usually means you'll have the gun for a very long time if you hold out for a U.S. price.

I've got a nice 1899C in 38-55 as well, I think I (and probably others here) paid somewhere in the 500-600 dollar price range for them.

Oh ya Rockeye, I've got an 1899B in 30-30 thats gonna go up on the chopping block soon, it's no round barrel but the octagons aren't bad either. Maybe you can ship me that old buttstock with the money order for it, hahahahaha.
 
yes the number under the plate does match , so now what does that mean - thanks to all you guys for your help and feedback. I've been real busy lately and super busy since I retired but I did find time to shoot off four rounds at 205 feet and the old 38-55 was a nice group about 2 inches apart with hungry mosquitoes buzzing all over me. then I took my dad to his favorite old hunting ground and tried to find his old trail into a lake that he said took him 10 minutes to walk about 30 years ago . well it took me two hours round trip over under and around windfalls with more mosquitos so I told him we need a new trail this fall. I tried dads gun at 100 yards one shot and hit the bulls eye - 7mm mannlicher hair trigger.
 
Back
Top Bottom