Savage A22/17 trigger adjustment

Baked Potatoe

Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day all I was wondering since the only option for a trigger replacement is very expensive. I was wondering if there is any fix similar to the one used in a CZ457 for instance. I was just wondering as I was considering an 822 Precision, but I am hearing terrible things about the trigger. Any help would be wonderful thanks guys.
 
I had an A-22 in 22LR and replaced the trigger spring with the "Varmint" spring from Gunshack in TX, only was $7 a few years. That got my A-22 to ca 2# pull. An alternative I went with on my B-22-FV is to 'heat' the OEM spring with a Bic, then let it cool slowly. That got me to ca 1# pull.
I didn't buy a 'Precision' A or B-22 since that gets into the $-range of 'better rifles' like a CZ. I went to a CZ-457 VMTR with the 'Match chamber' and 'Heavy Barrel, altho there are a few models that also have that Chamber/Barrel combo. If you want to stay in the lower $-range I'd suggest just the A-22 FV-SR which will get the heavy threaded barrel, then heat the T-spring. Threads about this are on inet, RFC, etc. OR look for a Used 'better rifle' on the EE .
 
PS - I forgot another mod you can do easily. The place on the trigger where the trigger-spring screws into can be ground down about 1/4" or so to allow the spring to seat 'lower', thus reducing the pull weight. Again, there are threads about this on RFC and other places. I can't recall if there is a post here on CGN. Just screwing the OEM spring as low as it will go only will get you to ca 3# or a bit more . . . that affects accuracy, especially with a semi. That's why I went with the B-22-FV - Bolts are more accurate.
 
Useful info thank you. It appears you can take it with the main posting and replace it with a small. Bolt. Lighter spring supposedly that works. I seen it on YouTube.
 
A bit of an update I managed to find a reasonable modification. It involves a number 10 grub screw, and a spring that will fit over the outside diameter of that screw. If you insert the screw in the pre-tapped hole where the bottom of the spring wood sit, screw it down into place and source a spring to slide over the protruding bolt like a sleeve and hook that into the top part into the whole for the previous spring I used a cut down spring from a factory CZ457 Trigger pack. You can only make it so as it is sear dependent on reset it’s mechanically tied to it and cannot be changed so as a result the minimum amount of the reset is the minimum amount of your pull weight no way around it. with this stock trigger, but it is much better than it was.
 
Back
Top Bottom