Savage ML and vent liners

powdergun

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
Will the accuracy of the savage ML's go to crap if the vent liners get a bit worn ?

I've never had a ML that had these liners in the flash hole. Reading says they should be changed after a couple hundred shots. Do they really affect the accuracy even if the gun is firing without a hitch ?
 
I'm still waiting for the accuracy to drop of in my two Savages. Never changed a vent liner yet, even though I bought several extras right at the get-go. They come with a few spares too.
 
Mines been acting stupid by shooting high all of a sudden. Guess I'll need to go back to the drawing board and start eliminating possible causes. You know scope, mounting screws, bedding, load development and on and on......

I'm a little peeved because the gun has been a workhorse for the last several years. I'm hoping for an easy fix. But if not it may be a candidate for a winter project. Like a nice new stock from boyds.
 
Had a stainless one years ago - pre accu-trigger but great gun. It was a workhorse too. Shot it alot - got a few deer with it but never changed a vent liner. But I bought spares to have on hand in case. I think it was a 1/8" drill bit carefully finger turned and a .032" guitar string chunk that kept the flash hole area cleaned out - my memory could be off on the sizes.

However the vent liners are cheap and if accuracy has fallen off maybe try a new one - I would start there.

Good luck with finding the gremlins causing you accuracy trouble. Sabots if pushed to hard or fired too fast between shots (in a warm barrel) will shoot off the board I found. I wonder if old (old stock) sabots could be a problem if the plastic breaks down? Just another thought 4u.

Hope u figure it out.
 
Does the plastic deteriorate over time ? My sabot supply is a few years old. I bought a pile when I first got the gun. ( Pre accu-trigger as well )
 
Yes a worn vent liner will cause sporatic accuracy in the Savage muzzleloaders. I have both the ML 1 and ML2 and in each case there is a noticable deterioration in accuracy once the ventliner wears...usually around 100 - 150 shots. Powder choice can also influence ventliner wear (seems I only get around 70 shots using lil gun as opposed to around 150 using 4198)
I have never had a problem with old sabots but ensure you are using mmp and not the hornady crap.
Hope that helps
 
Yes that helps. It seems that is the only thing I can narrow it down to. I've got spares so time to change it. Only problem is the old one is in there pretty solid. Any suggestions of what I can soak the breech plug in to loosen it up. If all else fails I guess I can buy another breech plug.
 
Princess Auto sells this very small impact driver for cheap. My best friend for removing sticky plugs and screws. Ideal for vent liner I'd guess. Use grease or never sieze when re assembling.
h ttp://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8003577/
8003577.jpg
 
If the liner is stuck soak it in a good penetrating oil for a day or so. Try to remove it but don't use too much pressure. If still stuck heat is your friend!
Good luck in attemting to get a breech plug from Savage as they claim they are "factory fitted". I think PBR of of Winnipeg sells them
 
Back
Top Bottom