Savage muzzleloader

TPB12335

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Location
Brandon, Mb
Looking for some info guys. I purchased a used savage muzzleloader this fall and never had time to get it set up for the season. Just getting ready to start playing around with it now. What I was wondering was should the rod stick out past the end of the barrel? Watching the video it says it should be flush. But also in the literature it says you can buy a starter kit with a longer field rod, just wondering if that is maybe what I have? Also what is everyone having luck shooting? I was able to get my Traditions pursuit down to about 1" over 90 grns of powder, hope to get at least this with the Savage. Thanks guys.

P1040887_zps3435ab28.jpg
 
A quick and easy way to get a Savage shooting is SR4759 and a Hornady SST in short black MMP sabots. My two are both useing 42 grains and the 300 gr.

Four tips are to keep it dead cold when testing loads, forget everything you know about muzzleloading, go for a tight fit on the sabots and to check out Doug's Savage board. That will get you started.
 
A quick and easy way to get a Savage shooting is SR4759 and a Hornady SST in short black MMP sabots. My two are both useing 42 grains and the 300 gr.

Four tips are to keep it dead cold when testing loads, forget everything you know about muzzleloading, go for a tight fit on the sabots and to check out Doug's Savage board. That will get you started.

This. Except I settled on a lighter load. My rod had a bullet seating tip screwed on the end and projected past the crown. It had no ill effect on shooting.
 
my load is 47.5 gr of IMR SR 4759 under a 250 gr Barnes Spit-fire TMZ and to light it up I use Federal 209A primers. This load will shoot tight clover leafs at 100 yrds and is devisating on dear out to well past 250 yrds.
 
You know I thought I had better jump in and make sure the Savage is a 10ML Smokeless ML he has there..................? I don't know if Savage makes regular MLs.

For your rod issue just check it looks like you have a bullet adapter screwed into the end of your cleaning rod. If you take it off it will be the same length as the barrel.

If you do have a 10ML and shoot smokeless awesome gun but just be careful loading it. I love mine and would never sell it.
 
Thanks for the replies guys, I got some sr4759 with the gun so from the sounds of things seems to be the best. I've tried unscrew the brass end but I couldn't get it off to see if it had been changed, but from the sounds of things it should be okay. Thanks again guys.
 
I also shoot the standard load of 42 grains of sr4759 and a 250 grain bullet. I've used both hornady sat and xtp bullets, black and red sabots. The red ones are handy for when its very cold out. I am using an aftermarket aluminum ramrod. I didn't like the factory one. Be sure to get a bullet starter too.
 
Back
Top Bottom