Scinde Irregular Horse 12 Bore Double

eos

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I acquired this percussion double shotgun a few years back. It's a Jacob pattern cavalry 12 bore double marked to the Scinde Irregular Horse, a regiment raised on the Indian Northwest Frontier by Brigadier General John Jacob http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jacob_(East_India_Company_officer)
It's equipped with a saddle ring & captive ramrod in cavalry style and the left muzzle is reinforced to prevent premature wear from rubbling against saddle and tack. The number 49 appears on the barrels (and stock) as well as what looks like the Hindi numeral for the same.

The stock has been repaired several times and probably replaced entirely at one point as the buttplate is notched for a now absent cap box.

Lockplates are marked Swinburn & Son, 1853. From what I can gather, General Jacob relied heavily on this firm to produce arms for his irregulars.

I'll let the pictures explain the rest. Does anyone have additional information or could hazard a guess as to the value?

jacobsB.jpg


jacobsA.jpg


jacobsD.jpg


jacobsE.jpg


jacobsC.jpg


jacobsH.jpg


jacobsF.jpg


jacobsG.jpg
 
Last edited:
Is the gun currently rifled or smooth bore? It does not seem to have provision for a rifle sight which I think the rifled guns would have had

cheers mooncoon
 
Is the gun currently rifled or smooth bore? It does not seem to have provision for a rifle sight which I think the rifled guns would have had

cheers mooncoon


Smoothbore. The Jacob Rifle was similar in profile as shown. The gun in question is definitely a shotgun.

Jacob experimented with pre-engraved /belted bullets and explosive rifle projectiles as well. Swinburn seems to have been his gunsmith of choice.
 
Definately looks like its built more for fighting then a day shooting partridge.

Buck and ball left and a Patched round ball in the right clip it to your webbing and mount up.

A very-very nice arm!
 
eos,

Howard Blackmore has photos on plate 67 of a smoothbore carbine by Swinburne & Sons 1860, marked SCINDE IRREGULAR HORSE and a smoothbore by Garden & Son.

Check out this website, Michael D Long has a Jacobs Rifle for sale now.
ht tp://www.michaeldlong.com/Ko-Bespoke/productlist.asp?as=True

Michael D Long has sold two Jacobs smoothbore carbines in the past. Here are photos of them.
j6lyjl.jpg

1zf5mg.jpg


This is all I could find on Jacobs, hope it helps.
 
Sorry, no news about this wonderful creature. I have heard of the Jacobs RIFLES, even seen one, but the smoothbore double CARBINES are beyond me.

Right now, I am sitting quietly and mulling over the essential uncaring, unfair nature of the world.

These things should have been mass-production so I could have one, too!

You are a Very Lucky Guy and this is a WONDERFUL piece of history.

I salute you, Sir!
 
This is the original "anti-materiel" rifle. Jacobs designed it with the idea of blowing up ammunition wagons, which in those days of course meant black powder artillery cartridges in cloth bags, carried in wooden wagons. Your rifle may well have been used in the Indian Mutiny. Congratulations!

ht tp://myjacobfamily.com/articleskennethjacob/generaljacobarticle.htm"]http://myjacobfamily.com/articleskennethjacob/generaljacobarticle.htm
 
This is the original "anti-materiel" rifle. Jacobs designed it with the idea of blowing up ammunition wagons, which in those days of course meant black powder artillery cartridges in cloth bags, carried in wooden wagons. Your rifle may well have been used in the Indian Mutiny.

As already noted, the Jacob's rifle had 4 rifling grooves and I doubt that a smoothbore would have stabilized elongate bullets. In the 1850s heavy barreled shotguns were used like short range rifles and I presume that your gun was either used as a short range rifle or perhaps loaded with buckshot for closer range. There is reference to the rifle version in "The Gun" by Hans Busk, 1862 but it does deal with smoothbores and does not add anything much beyond what has already been posted

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom