Scopin a Snider

Hey ....Why not:D

If its a old busted up bubbad unit, mounting a scope on it sure ain't going to devalue it....might actually raise its value due to curiosity factor

These rifles ARE capable of extreme accuracy at distance,
Canadian shooters used them to great success in competition against the Brits in the old Bisley military competitions "things I have learned on the British militaria forum;)"

If you want to keep it still somewhat Victorian in appearance rig up a copper or brass scope.

Experiment and take pictures, sounds like a cool possible project.

And if it doesn't make her anymore accurate,- if its done well aesthetically- it will surly add to the one of a kind factor, .
 
Are you refering to the .577 Snider-Enfield? Or am I thinking of the wrong rifle?

Either way, I don't feel as bad now for once asking about getting a wooden pistol-grip or thumbhole stock for my Winchester Model 12 :D I got really small hands, I find pistol-grip stocks a lot more comfortable.
 
Last edited:
In order to solder anything onto a Snider rifle barrel you have to use silver solder, which is a much more tedious business. If silver solder is done by someone experienced with it the base would NOT come off. Most scope bases on a rifle barrel are screwed on but the Snider barrels are not thick enough for that. Maybe try a red dot type with a single base on the receiver ring. My old eyes don't like iron sights any more either but I can still put five round balls in an 8 inch circle at 100 yards with my Snider. I had the "LensCrafters" do me a set of glasses with a focal distance of 24 inches so the front sights would be crystal clear and it helped immensely. Good luck, Dave
 
The big issue is the taper and trying to get it parallel. The barrel is so thin I'd be scared of tapping it. The best option might be a set of bases and an antique free floating type scope set up. Either way I won't be doing it as the bubba'd gun a resurrected now sports irons....
 
There have been a number of scopes put on trapdoor Springfield and 1874 Sharps by using a plate on the left side of the weapon, using entended bolts that hold the action to the weapon.
 
I think a side mount is the only way to go as the block rolling open (and the hammer) seem to preclude a top mount.

The Snider does have the two bolts that go through the action and being left eye dominant, this may actual work!
 
i have seen one done with a sidemount. looked very slick actually, and i have a pic of it somewhere. ill post it if i can find it. i was going to give it a try myself actually
 
im gona try building one this winter. might not be the best for staybility, but..

sniderscopemount.jpg
 
It may be sacraligeous (sp) but (putting a scope on these guns is already LOL) could you not epoxy a scope rail to the bbl?
If or when you wanted to remove it latter on, just apply heat and off it comes.
 
Back
Top Bottom