Sea Service 2 Band Enfield .

LawrenceN

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
248   0   0
Here's one for the experts. From what I've seen thus far, it has a tinned barrel and tinned brass barrel bands. I'm picking it up tomorrow to give it a good clean, but a cursory examination didn't show any rifling present though there are a lot of dust bunnies in the bore and I know it wasn't really deep rifling on the Enfield rifles. I was told that it was perhaps Naval Volunteers issue? From what I've learned over the years, the tin plating is a pretty good indication of a sea service rifle. It's also nice that it has the nipple protector still present. I'll have more information tomorrow and I'll have a chance to see any stamps on the stock or metal but for now can any of you determine from the pics what I've got and perhaps venture a guess as to value? Thanks all.
 
I got tin brassy coloured bands in my parts pile. Always wondered if Naval. Nothin in my book on Sniders by Skinnerton.
Might be hard to get a straight answer on this. I have a 3rd pattern Bess that is japanned hard paint covered. Been told by a very knowledgable old black powder gunsmith it is sea service. However my book on the Bess states and shows pics of only 2nd Pat being selected for sea service use.
 
I've just spoken to Peter Dyson here in UK, who has never heard of tin-plating a sea-service firearm made in England.

More research is needed, for sure.

tac
 
Last edited:
This has just been posted over on muzzleloadingforum.com in response to my earlier post there -


In response to tac

Hi Tac,
During the American Civil War era naval rifles were often tinned to prevent rust. I have seen examples of Spencer repeating rifles and Springfield muskets that were tinned. However, I think the method was eventually dropped in favor of a thick coating of a finish composed of beeswax, linseed oil, and turpentine.

dave


Many thanks, Dave.

tac
 
I am leaning toward a U.S. association as well from the little research I've done thus far. Though there's no bayonet lug on the barrel nothing precludes the possibility of a socket bayonet provision. Given how many English arms were shipped to the Confederate states, this could be a very interesting score.
 
From the spacing of the bands I suspect this is shortened 3 band long Enfield.

I tend to agree with you. Another buddy suggested that, given it's a smooth bore, it may have been issued to native levies. He also speculated that it may have been sold out of service as a fowling piece, but since there is no evidence of the royal cypher (VR), or signs that it was ever there, and since the "sold-out-of-service" mark (the two broad arrows facing each other) isn't there either, I lean toward either U.S. service or the native levies probability. Definitely needs more research. Maybe I should look up some UK antique firearms forums?
 
I live here, and AFAIK, there are no UK-based antique firearms fora. The only UK forum I write on that has a BP section is airgunbbs.com, and most of the time I'm the only writer, answering the occasional question.

However, the Muzzleloading association of Great Britain [MALGB] DOES have a forum, but

a. you have to register, and

b. THE man to talk to there, David Minshall [UK, International and Commonwealth champion BP rifle shooter] has already responded to your query over on the other forum we all three of us write on.

Best

tac
 
Back
Top Bottom