searching for .303 savage

chip_143

Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
BC, Canada
Not sure if i should be posting this in here or if its more appropriate for the reloading threads but here it is. I will soon be aquiring a .303 sav, and have come to the dilemma im sure many have faced, where in the heck can you get ammo for these things? It is my grandfathers gun and it would mean alot to me to be able to shoot it. Ive heard rumors of hornady possibly producing this calibre sometime any word on that? Any info would be a big help. thanks
 
Bingo! ill have to put in my order. My granpa says he also has a box of 20 round from around the 50s as well. Ill have to check if theyre in good shape.
 
As above, order the new stuff and keep the old. I have a 1914 Model 1899 in .303 and lucked out at a gun show and found a bag of 50 new brass! I will be ordering some from Henry.
 
If you reload, I was told you can force a 30-30 case in a 303 savage die. Haven't tried it yet, but I have the same issue. Although now that I see that you can get a box for 35$ ish, I'm tempted to not try it and buy a couple cases just for the brass!
 
not 30-30

You don't want to even try, there would bee all sorts of issues. Best basecase is 30 US (30-40 to the uwashed); resize in 303 Sav die, trim, fire form and viola you have a cas ethat will last for about 5-7 reloads if pressures aren't driven to silly levels. Epps used to market resized 30 US brass for use in these old girls; I still have a couple of hundred.
 
If you reload, I was told you can force a 30-30 case in a 303 savage die. Haven't tried it yet, but I have the same issue. Although now that I see that you can get a box for 35$ ish, I'm tempted to not try it and buy a couple cases just for the brass!
__________________
The base of a 30-30 case is .020" smaller than the base of a 303 sav.
 
Obsolescent cartridges like the Savage are prime candidates for reloading. You can, as shown, still get new, but it's difficult and sooner or later the tap is going to get turned off. Get a few boxes of brass and you'll be shooting forever.

BTW - congrats on being able to keep your grandfather's rifle in the field!
 
Back
Top Bottom